PDA

View Full Version : My First Turning

Jak Kelly
04-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I finally got to do my first turning this weekend, went with a bottle-opener, thought I would keep it on the simple side. I sanded it down do 500 grit paper then applied automotive compound followed by automotive polish (just went with what was handy and all ready available in my garage). 286673

Roger Chandler
04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
looks good to me Jak........nice form and nicely done finish! Nice that you got that Grizz broke in a little!

Jak Kelly
04-07-2014, 1:51 PM
looks good to me Jak........nice form and nicely done finish! Nice that you got that Grizz broke in a little!

Thanks Roger, I appreciate it. I have been playing around with the gouges, getting them sharpened and such, I did manage to chuck-up some wood to get a feel for it. I have been dying to do something of significance, if you can call my first that, but just haven't had the "funds" since the initial investment.

Doug Ladendorf
04-07-2014, 2:11 PM
Very nice Jak! That really has some polish to it. I especially like the paper plate background. ;-)

Doug

Jak Kelly
04-07-2014, 2:16 PM
Very nice Jak! That really has some polish to it. I especially like the paper plate background. ;-)

Doug

Well, I had to have a back-drop that would show off the color, otherwise the oak table underneath it would have made it look like camouflage.

Dennis Nagle
04-07-2014, 2:33 PM
Good job Jak!!! You're hooked.

Brian Kent
04-07-2014, 2:43 PM
Now if you keep your eyes open for trees being cut down, you can start collecting free wood.

You probably told us on another thread, but what lathe did you get?

Jak Kelly
04-07-2014, 3:20 PM
Now if you keep your eyes open for trees being cut down, you can start collecting free wood.

You probably told us on another thread, but what lathe did you get?

I wound up getting a Grizzly lathe, their model #G0658. It is a discontinued item with Grizzly, they knocked $100 off of them, I assume to get the remainder of their stock out the door. I was days away from pulling the trigger on a Jet, kept checking Grizzlys site, then noticed one Tuesday that they were $100 cheaper. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong.

Brian Kent
04-07-2014, 7:41 PM
Great. Looking forward to your review a few months from now! Way to go.

Thomas Canfield
04-07-2014, 9:37 PM
Looks like you made something useful. Nice job. What comes next?

Richard Madden
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Good work, Jak. Now that you have your first turning under your belt, work up slowly and learn from your mistakes. Congrats!!

George Conklin
04-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Nicely done, Jak,

I wish my first turning looked that good! Come to think of it, I wish my "last" turning did :o.

Jak Kelly
04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Looks like you made something useful. Nice job. What comes next?

Well, I really want to get started on turning pens, I have a few ideas for materials that I have been kicking around, nothing new, just found a use for my brothers collection of deer antlers. Would also like to experiment with a few other things, mainly cedar, since my father owns 80 acres that is being over-run with cedar trees, I just do not know if the trees will produce anything of useful value? But, I'm going to try a few things.
My main problem is probably materials right now, or the cost/expense of purchasing the more sought after species. I'm also kicking around the idea of making some of my own acrylics, in a PVC mold.

Brian Kent
04-08-2014, 3:17 PM
Since you have access to deer antlers and cedar, sounds like you have the materials to start with. I have never turned cedar, but my idea of fun is to find what is available for free (for me it is avocado and eucalyptus) and start trying it. You will soon find out its strengths and weaknesses and learn how to have fun making beautiful things with cedar and antler. Then when another free supply comes in, stick that one on the lathe and find out how that kind of wood works.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-08-2014, 4:43 PM
Jak,

For a first turning that is very,very nice. My first turning looked like a dog dish in the rough.

Jak Kelly
04-08-2014, 5:05 PM
Jak,

For a first turning that is very,very nice. My first turning looked like a dog dish in the rough.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind compliments.
Well, I probably put a lot more time and effort in planning what I wanted than what is necessary. Right now with the initial purchase of the lathe, tooling.........I don't have a lot of extra funds, better not even think about pulling out any plastic either (warden will kill me!)! So I have to be very productive with the materials I buy for turning, cause I cannot afford a second attempt. I also have years of experience in wood working, not a pro by any means, but I have done a lot of different things over the years, usually out of necessity, so I have learned a lot by trial and error! I also have some scraps from a left over project that I whittled down so I could play with on the lathe and the tooling, especially after sharpening my tools the first time. This may also sound stupid but I watched a lot of YouTube videos on turning, so I picked-up on some of the basics.
I'm really trying to find something to make that will actually possibly produce a little side income, not a lot just a little. I also have a cousin that runs a small store and I think she would be fine with selling my stuff for me. The only problem is right now I would probably have to sale that bottle opener for $30 and that would leave me and her splitting $14 of it, I'm sure she would be fine with a 30% take on it, especially if it is a consignment program, I just don't think anyone will shell out that kind of bank for it.

Jak Kelly
04-13-2014, 5:07 PM
Okay, I made another one, this one was made with a specific friend in mind, his birthday is the 26 of this month and we received an invitation from his wife to attend. He had made a comment about the first one I made, thought it was really cool, so I got to thinking about some left-over parts I had out in the garage and came up with this. Just an axle nut for the front axle of a Fatboy.

James Combs
04-13-2014, 8:26 PM
Okay, I made another one, this one was made with a specific friend in mind, his birthday is the 26 of this month and we received an invitation from his wife to attend. He had made a comment about the first one I made, thought it was really cool, so I got to thinking about some left-over parts I had out in the garage and came up with this. Just an axle nut for the front axle of a Fatboy.

I am sure your friend will love it, if he is a motorcyclist there is no doubt, even if he isn't it still a great gift. I have a G0658 along with my Jet 1642. I use it about as much as I use the Jet.

BTW I am pretty sure the warranty on your new Griz is one year so when it runs out you might want to look into putting a reversing switch on it, would not want to do it now because it could void the warranty but a year from now you might want to look into doing this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158250-Add-Reversing-Switch-To-Your-Grizzly-G0658-Midi-Lathe).

Jak Kelly
04-13-2014, 10:59 PM
I am sure your friend will love it, if he is a motorcyclist there is no doubt, even if he isn't it still a great gift. I have a G0658 along with my Jet 1642. I use it about as much as I use the Jet.

BTW I am pretty sure the warranty on your new Griz is one year so when it runs out you might want to look into putting a reversing switch on it, would not want to do it now because it could void the warranty but a year from now you might want to look into doing this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158250-Add-Reversing-Switch-To-Your-Grizzly-G0658-Midi-Lathe).

He is definetely an inthusiast! Heck, he is probably the primary reason I have a Harley now. But also, like me, he likes all bikes.
Out of ignorance, why do I want a reversing switch?

Jason Ritchie
04-14-2014, 4:27 AM
Great first turning! My first turning was a candlestick out of cedar that looked, well ..., strange. Eastern Red Cedar, once dry, is a great wood to turn. You do want to use a good dust mask as it will create a fine red dust that goes everywhere. For pens you can can find wood in a lot of places. When driving through town look along the sides of the road for yard cleanup. You can often find branches and small limbs placed beside the road. Heck I even turned a pen from a large Azalea bush I took down in our yard. Turned out quite nice. Have fun turning!