PDA

View Full Version : Dado Blade on a Makita 2704 contractor saw

jon lapham
04-07-2014, 9:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a Makita 2704 contractor saw, and I would like to use it with my Freud 6" dado blade set.

According to Makita, this saw can be used with most 6" dado sets, as long as you use the Makita Dado Flange Set (#192693-8), which I have purchased. However, Makita brilliantly does not include any documentation on how to *use* the Dado Flange Set. So, hopefully someone in this forum has some suggestions for me.

This is my saw sans blades and flanges, the smooth usable part of the arbor sticks out 15/16" (24mm) and in addition there is 9/16" (15mm) of thread:

This is the inner flange, outer flange, and hex nut that comes with the saw:

This is the Dado Flange Kit, with the (Makita's terminology) "Ring" near the motor, then the "Outer Flange" and finally the "Hex nut". Sitting on the table top is the "washer" that comes with the kit too.

These are all the parts laid out, the original "inner flange" (1), "outer flange" (2), hex nut(3), and the kit "washer" (4), "ring" (5), "outer flange" (6) and "hex nut" (7).

I've tried the obvious: #5, Dado Blade, #6, #7 but in this configuration the smooth arbor is too big, you cannot tighten down the blade between #5 and #6, there is a good 1/4" of play.

I've tried using a mixture, #1, Dado Blade, #6, #7. This doesn't leave *enough* room for the hex nut to safely secure the blade. The inner flange #1 is very wide.

Anyway, any suggestions? I hope someone out there has done this before! Thanks a lot.

-Jon