PDA

View Full Version : I've had better days.

Rick Potter
04-07-2014, 1:58 AM
Needed to cut up some 3/4 ply today for cabinet underlayment. I got out the trusty DeWalt track saw. The first cut I made was not supported well enough on the cutoff side, and the saw bound up, knocking the riving knife against the blade. It made some pretty sparks. I took it apart expecting something to be bent, but really lucked out. The riving knife needed some minor straightening, and readjusting, and the saw was fine. I didn't see any damage to blade teeth.

Great, now back to work. I made another cut, then set the saw on my Jessem slider while I rotated the sheet of plywood. Half way through the rotation, the corner of the plywood hit the end of the slider, and the slider did what sliders do.......it slid. No problem, it is just moving out of the way a bit more, right? That is when the cord of the saw caught on my work table, stopping the track saw's travel, but the slider kept on sliding (some other heavy stuff was on it).

There I am holding one end of a sheet of plywood, watching my beloved, recently adjusted, track saw fall to the concrete floor. I possibly uttered a naughty word.

The saw hit right on the front of the aluminum (magnesium?) bottom plate. I figured it was all over, and took it apart again checking everything I could for cracks, but all I found was some dings on the front of the plate, which I touched up with a file. Went back to work with my re-readjusted and re-reinspected bulletproof track saw, and actually finished the job without further mishap.

A day without a mistake is like a day without laughter. Directed at me.

Rick Potter

Peter Quinn
04-07-2014, 5:44 AM
Sounds like luck prevailed....sort of. I've had those kinds if days. Not sure how to prevent them, but I have a three strikes rule. Third dropsie event, I shut lights and walk away before things get worse. Break the streak with a hard disconnect!

Jim Matthews
04-07-2014, 7:25 AM
A day without a mistake is like a day without laughter. Directed at me.Rick Potter

That's why I work alone;
I want to remember it the way it really happened.

Wayne Jolly
04-07-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm with Peter. When I get my first strike . . . well . . . crap haps. After the second I just hope it's over. But after the third strike I just look up and tell the universe "ALRIGHT ALREADY! I QUIT!"

Wayne

Pat Barry
04-07-2014, 1:05 PM
Good news - bad news situation. At least the good news is that the damage wasn't so bad as it could have been. Glad to hear YOU were unscathed as well.