PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth? Powermatic 15" planer

Timothy Zotta
04-06-2014, 7:28 PM
Hey guys, need some help on the value for a like new powermatic 15" planer #1791209 (has the roller indeed and outfeed tables as opposed to the cast iron ones the new 15s has). I have the opportunity to pick it up and a powermatic model 54a 6" jointer. Neither have helical head cutters. What would be the price on each of these considering like new or lightly used machines? Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Day
04-06-2014, 8:29 PM
I didn't get many guys on google images for that 'model' number, that might be the serial number.
Anyway, I'm guessing it's the typical imported 4 poster that was sold under about a dozen different names. To me, it means nothing that it says Powermatic instead of woodtek or Jet, so I wouldn't pay any premium for the paint color.
That being said, 4 posters seem to go for between $300-800 or so in my area. I got a Jet that had some surface rust for $350, and it cleaned up nicely and is a workhorse. Keep in mind you can get a brand new grizzly for about $1k, so I wouldn't pay more than $600 for an old one, even if it's barely used.

Timothy Zotta
04-06-2014, 8:54 PM
Yea that 1791209 is the Powermatic "Stock No" and you are correct. This is what it is. I've read some reviews on this machine back when it was still on the market and some of them weren't very good but then again others were raving about it. The seller is asking more than its worth if that is truly the value of the machine nowadays.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71XTY180FNL._SX425_.gif

Bruce Page
04-06-2014, 9:33 PM
I sold mine last year for $850. A lot depends on your location and luck.

Timothy Zotta
04-06-2014, 9:50 PM
Bruce, that is a very nice machine. Still significantly less and yours looks like it is in better shape than the one I am inquiring about.

Matt Day
04-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I'm getting the feeling that the seller thinks that because it says powermatic on it it should be worth double the price of anything else. I'd pass and keep looking, or buy a grizzly and get a better/newer machine with a warranty.