PDA

View Full Version : DIY: How to Build Wooden Fly Boxes with a Router

Gary Salisbury
04-06-2014, 2:23 PM
I am writing a book on how to build wooden fly boxes with a router and have published it on Pinterest. It is free but can not be resold for profit.

Here is a copy for your reading pleasure:
http://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/woodworking-diy-wood-fly-boxes/

Please let me know if you see any mistakes or better ways to present this information.

Thanks,
Gary Salisbury

Bill Whig
04-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I am writing a book on how to build wooden fly boxes with a router and have published it on Pinterest. It is free but can not be resold for profit.

Please let me know if you see any mistakes or better ways to present this information.

Thanks,
Gary Salisbury

I think you should decide who your audience is: Woodworkers or fisherman. If it's the former, then you can safely assume they know alot. If it's the latter, I think you are asking for (or offering) trouble. Maybe try to publish an article in one of the nicer ww magazines? Good luck!

Bill

Bill Whig
04-09-2014, 12:13 AM

Thanks,
Gary Salisbury

As long as you are doing all of this work, why focus on fly boxes? Although I am a fly-fisherman myself, I think there is probably more demand for pretty boxes that will hold a deck of cards, and all kinds of other things I haven't thought of.
I have no idea about the percentage of people who can cast a fly rod, but I am thinking that it must be in the single digits.

Justin Ludwig
04-09-2014, 8:16 AM
Original images need to be much larger. Some of the print is very hard to read (and I have good eyes). I didn't peruse the all the images but it looks like a good start! Everybody loves free information!

@Bill - I bet if you remove the inserts that box will hold a deck of cards. ;)

Richard Wolf
04-09-2014, 8:30 AM
Nice book, thanks for posting.

Phil Thien
04-09-2014, 8:50 AM
Those are amazing fly boxes! The information as presented seems very nicely organized. I bet some fly fishermen will give this a shot and become woodworkers!

Dennis Hawkins
04-09-2014, 9:28 AM
I can certainly appreciate using woodworking skills for creating projects related to other hobbies.
I do these:286807286806286808286809

Myk Rian
04-09-2014, 10:31 AM
The print size looks fine when zoomed in. Almost too big to fit my wide-screen monitor. Each page could use a previous-next page button.
Overall, well done.

Jim Colombo
04-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I can certainly appreciate using woodworking skills for creating projects related to other hobbies.
I do these:286807286806286808286809

Dennis, I love your nets. Great job.

Bill Whig
04-09-2014, 6:31 PM
Dennis, I love your nets. Great job.

I think his nets are great too! Inspired by another woodworker, I'd like to make a fly-tying hutch. Though, I have to admit, that one is further down the list. I don't catch enough fish to justify a fancy net.. ; )

Bill

Steve Keathley
04-09-2014, 9:56 PM
I think you should decide who your audience is: Woodworkers or fisherman. ...there are quite a few of us who are both. The same thing that attracts us to woodworking also attracts us to tying flies.

Practical artistry.

Gary Salisbury
04-10-2014, 10:30 AM
How does one go about getting an article published in one of the woodworking magazines?

Gary Salisbury
04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
As long as you are doing all of this work, why focus on fly boxes? Although I am a fly-fisherman myself, I think there is probably more demand for pretty boxes that will hold a deck of cards, and all kinds of other things I haven't thought of. I have no idea about the percentage of people who can cast a fly rod, but I am thinking that it must be in the single digits.

Yes, I agree. This process can be used for any small boxes which I elude to on page 1.0. I hadn't thought of card boxes but had thought of cigar boxes, pill boxes, jewelry boxes, pencil boxes, tea boxes, trinket boxes, watch boxes, tool boxes, etc., etc., etc.

Bill Whig
04-10-2014, 9:41 PM
Yes, I agree. This process can be used for any small boxes which I elude to on page 1.0. I hadn't thought of card boxes but had thought of cigar boxes, pill boxes, jewelry boxes, pencil boxes, tea boxes, trinket boxes, watch boxes, tool boxes, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, but the people interested in anything but fly boxes will probably never get passed the cover. If you look inside the cover of a magazine, or maybe at the magazine's web site, you may find details about submitted an article. Good luck!

Bill Whig