PDA

View Full Version : Problems with CA glue finish Have Formulas changed?

Brian Brown
04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Dose anyone know if the formula has changed for Satellite city CA Glue in recent months? I have used
CA as a finish for years with great success, and recently, it has been a major disaster. The glue does not go on smoothly, and leaves terrible ridges that have to be sanded off. I also have a much worse problem with the glue sticking to the wood. I often get bubbles under the finish where the glue has de-bonded. Most of the problems come when I assemble the project. When pressing the parts together, the pressure of the press causes the finish to pop, and leaves a bubble under the finish. I have not had this problem in 6 years, and now, suddenly it occurs on nearly every item. I made a razor a few weeks ago, and the finish worked fine. I looked at the razor yesterday, and the finished had popped sometime since the time I finished it. Besides the obvious loss of time, most of my projects are made with pricey burls, so there is a monetary loss involved also. Most concerning of all, is that I don't want to sell an item, and have it fail in a few days. Any Ideas on what causes this problem, or what can be done?

Thanks,

charlie knighton
04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Brian

Any Ideas on what causes this problem, or what can be done?

I suspect that the ca glue was old

Starbond will not sell any ca that is older than 2 months.......the question is how long have you had the ca glue??????????????

this is a guess........

Brian Brown
04-06-2014, 12:32 PM
The glue is new. I got it at Craft supply a couple of months ago. They usually don't allow it to get too old on the shelf.

Dwight Rutherford
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Give Satellite City a call tomorrow and ask if they have changed anything. http://www.caglue.com/

Russell Neyman
04-06-2014, 6:50 PM
From time to time, I've encountered problems with CA. I've attributed the inconsistent results to moisture (in the wood or in the air) but I'd be interested in hearing a chemist's take.

John Terefenko
04-07-2014, 6:54 AM
I agree, give them a call. I bet they will even replace your glue. I asked them one time if there is a date on the package and he told me no. There has to be some way they can tell how old a bottle of glue is. Maybe in the serial number.