PDA

View Full Version : Zero Protrusion Blum Hinges

Mark W Pugh
04-06-2014, 7:29 AM
Speaking frameless cabinets here.

OK, the only "zero Protrusion" hinge I can find is the 155 deg hinge. http://www.rockler.com/blum-155-zero-protrusion-hinges

Now, are there other options? The 170 deg doesn't show the "zero protrusion" statement. Does it not open the door beyond the front edge of the carcass?

Trying to have pull out shelves.

Thanks

Moses Yoder
04-06-2014, 8:27 AM
Go here http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/30/ and download the brochure. The 38N is zero protrusion in 5/8" and 3/4" overlay. Make sure your clearances are adequate, I think they require 9/32" on square edge doors. If you cannot find a supplier I am pretty sure I can get them for you. There should be Blum vendors on the web, Rockler prices are really outrageous.

Mark W Pugh
04-06-2014, 8:37 AM
Thanks Moses. I actually have the catalogues. I am no expert on these hinges and it's hard to figure out if the hinge is "zero protrusion" or not. I guess I need to go somewhere and get a schooling in the hinges. I've looked on-line, but no one has really explained all the details.

Rockler is expensive, however, the pair of hinges are all inclusive. Other on line ordering you have to order hinge, plates, clips, etc separately. Once again, I'm not that well versed on what I need piece by piece. Not yet anyway.

I'll take a look at 38N. I really need something that doesn't need a lot of clearance from the adjoining cabinet door.

Mark W Pugh
04-06-2014, 9:23 AM
I'll take a look at 38N. I really need something that doesn't need a lot of clearance from the adjoining cabinet door.

Oops, I just realized that the 38N are for framed cabinets. I'm building frameless. Or am I way off base here?

John Bomment
04-06-2014, 9:40 AM
Hey Mark,
Yea the 38n are compact hinges for face frames.
You want the 155.
170 protrudes 1.5 mm into the opening with a 0 mm plate.

Jamie Buxton
04-06-2014, 10:45 AM
The usual solution is to add spacers between the drawer slide and the cabinet wall, on the hinge side. Then you don't have to worry about what's zero protrusion and what's not.

Bradley Gray
04-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Check out Custom Service Hardware cshardware.com for good prices on small quantity orders

Moses Yoder
04-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I realized after posting too that the 38N is for frame, it would only have one screw in the side. I looked through the other hinges for frameless and I think the minimum protrusion is about 7/16". Most people would either install a drawer or use a spacer. The 155 opening hinge will work, just seems a little salty. You would have to call Blum and ask for the protrusion on the 170° hinge, they don't have the spec in the brochure.