PDA

View Full Version : just pulled the trigger on my first plow plane

Matthew N. Masail
04-06-2014, 5:49 AM
It's a pretty much new record 050C with all 18 cutters. Item no: 400685194683

according to what I could find over here and on the Record web site seems like a great plane. maybe not cheap but it seems like anything with a good set of cutter is going to end up their and more. I think it was worth it to remove all time consuming bidding and fiddling with non complete items which seems to be most with a plow plane.

First time buying something on the bay, still got a bunch of items on the sight, I didn't want to take much of a chance with this one. How did I do . .. ?:o

rosewood handle (might need replacing anyway :confused:)

Roger Rettenmeier
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I have a combination plane. a Stanley 46. I think price wise you did alright. I see the cutter set for a 46 at $100 or more for the 46. Glad mine has all the cutters. Record had a good reputation, so once you get the tuning figured out, you should be o.k. Here is a link with some info on combi planes. http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combihow.html

Jim Koepke
04-06-2014, 12:51 PM
In my opinion you did alright.

What a user can do with the plane is the real test of how good a deal you found.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
04-06-2014, 1:38 PM
Thanks ! I needed that reassurance..

Jim, you mean if I learn to use it? or if it really functions like it should?

Tony Zaffuto
04-06-2014, 1:44 PM
Good plane! Make sure cutters are sharp and wax fence & skate.

Jim Matthews
04-06-2014, 4:09 PM
I'm using the same plane, for a couple of key operations.

It's important to note that if you're routing stopped dadoes,
as in tall stiles to hold panels, this design will NOT allow you
to go to the very end of the stile. The curved toe of the sole
will not clear the very ends of the dado.

The side panels are free floating in such dadoes in the bathroom
cabinet, below. A proper chisel was required to square the ends
of the groove cut with my Plow plane.

286626 T

Jim Koepke
04-06-2014, 4:33 PM
Jim, you mean if I learn to use it? or if it really functions like it should?

Most likely it will function like it should. The challenge is in learning how to use it.

As Tony suggested make sure your blades are sharp. Sharp cutters can be the difference between fun and futility.

jtk

John Powers
04-06-2014, 9:40 PM
I'd like to hear a year from today what that plane did for you. My ward master 45 went into the trash. They're time bandits. They steal your time. Good luck.

Jim Matthews
04-07-2014, 7:20 AM
@ JP -

I have mine set up for specific tasks, mainly routing long grooves along the side of 3/4" boards - over a long run.
It's more stable for this task than my router plane, and it was cheaper than the modern (superior) offerings.

If you're trying to switch between cutters for multiple tasks, it's impossibly fiddly.

Set up for one process only, it's been satisfactory.
I particularly like the handle and auxiliary fence;
it feels solid, even teetering over a tall board.

Matthew N. Masail
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Ok well, we'll see. I'll be back home with it at the begining of June. I will do my best to post a video of it for referance.

Jim, do you have the same model? 050C. from the pics it looks like a rather simple plane.

Jim Koepke
04-07-2014, 11:51 AM
I'd like to hear a year from today what that plane did for you. My ward master 45 went into the trash. They're time bandits. They steal your time. Good luck.

I will admit a #45 isn't the easiest plane to use. It has a lot of fiddly bits and adjustments. A missing part or two can be a real problem.

Once one gets the blades sharp and learns how to set things they can be quite useful.

Order up an extra serving of patience when you first start up with one of these.

jtk

Pedro Reyes
04-07-2014, 5:48 PM
Ok well, we'll see. I'll be back home with it at the begining of June. I will do my best to post a video of it for referance.

Jim, do you have the same model? 050C. from the pics it looks like a rather simple plane.

I have a Record 50 (not sure if 50C). I love it, I have never used a 45, I stumbled upon a 55 for free, 4 boxes of cutters (stealth gloat, no hate please) that a friend inherited and he just gave it to me, free. I've never used the 55, just afraid to use that many parts. As you can see the 50 is simple and does great with grooves and rabbets, as someone mentioned, stopped grooves have to be dealt with, in my case with chisels.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/pars73/116-1658_IMG.jpg (http://s655.photobucket.com/user/pars73/media/116-1658_IMG.jpg.html)

You did great on the buy from what I can tell, mine came from England, in a wooden Box and I paid about $10 more than you did, so like I said, you did great.

/p

Matthew N. Masail
04-08-2014, 9:39 AM
Thanks Pedro ! According to the Record website you have the 050 or 050A, which are essentially the same http://www.record-planes.com/?s=050&searchsubmit=Search

the 050C is a later model that was more "modern' at those times. the site dosen't say however how it compares is function to the 050, maybe because it's the same in specs..?
http://www.record-planes.com/record-no-050c-improved-combination-plane/

Tony Zaffuto
04-12-2014, 7:24 AM
Just came up from the basement shop for a late morning cup of Joe. Made a set of drawer slips, using my LV small plow. Cutting three grooves, about 24" long (need cut to length yet) took all of about 10 minutes total, and that included picking out straight grain stock and figuring where I was going to plow. Nice little plane, and very comfortable to use (much more so than the Record 43 I have).

Before I got the LV, I used one of the three Stanley 45's I have (got 'em cheap & couldn't pass at the price paid). The Stanley's are just a bit more cumbersome to use because of the size, but not bad at all. I don't have a Stanley 50 or 46 (yet). If I find a 50 at a good price, it will come home and I'm actively looking for a real nice & complete 46.

Trick to good plowing is sharp and then sharper. Also helps to put wax or camilla oil on the skate and above all, make sure the fence is set correctly! It has to be parallel.

Using a plow in front of a Normite is one of the quickest ways I know to start said power toolie on the slippery slope. Last summer, I had a carpenter friend I worked with about 25 years ago, in my shop. His eyes bugged out at how quickly I set up and plowed grooves. To really set the hook, I got out my 48 T & G and he was asking where to buy some of these "things"!