PDA

View Full Version : Refurbed and revived #2 Stanley

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2014, 9:48 PM
Hi guys!
I'm pleased to tell you I was able to recover that #2 I wrote about in last weekend's thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215899-Found-a-2-no-name

What a lovely little plane. The basic plane (sole, frog) dates from about 1900 (Type 8, I think). The cutter is a nice thick Union Mfg - don't know how to date it, but it's quite nice. The cap iron dates from around 1870 as best I can tell and the lever cap was cut down from a #3 somewhere down the line. So she's not "worth" much more than the $14 I paid for her - unless you're someone like me who REALLY wanted a user.

I really like this plane. She was flat and square. (OK, there's a small low spot about 3/16" wide at the toe, but everywhere else is right on.) I stripped all the black spray paint, cleaned off the rust, repainted her and then polished bottom and sides to 320 grit. She takes thin shavings that are mostly full width. And I didn't have to spend $275 to buy LN's lovely #2. The "before" pics are in the post I link above. Here's how she looks now.

I can't tell if the tote/knob are Rosewood or Mahogany - seemed like the latter from the fine red dust. But I put several coats of clear shellac on them, burnishng with steel wool between coats. I really like the color/sheen on the tote. The knob is still darker than I'd like, but my knobs always end up that way. Maybe because they show so much end grain?

Anyway, I may not use this much - it really is small - but it's a lovely little tool and it came out well, so I thought I'd share it.

Take care,
Fred

Roger Rettenmeier
04-05-2014, 11:05 PM
And who said a Frankenplane was all bad?

Jim Koepke
04-06-2014, 2:54 AM
Frederick,

Nice looking work on the plane rehab.

The cutter is a nice thick Union Mfg - don't know how to date it, but it's quite nice.

My recollection is Union Mfg. spun off their plane making unit and changed the blade stamping to Union Plane Comapany around about 1917. The plane making was acquired by Stanley in about 1920.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
04-06-2014, 6:21 AM
Nice job!! looks great.

Winton Applegate
04-06-2014, 1:56 PM
That's brilliant !
Very nice
Way to go!

Makes me want to get a plane from back in the day.
Some day.
I will probably go for a really old saw first. Can you believe I still don't have one?
I slink away in shame . . .

Sean Hughto
04-06-2014, 2:03 PM
Fred, that's beautiful. I don't have a two, and don't know that I "need" one, but I'd be thrilled to have a pretty little user like that to see whether I might! ;-)