PDA

View Full Version : Water stain question

Thom Sturgill
04-05-2014, 5:31 PM
On my latest turning - a Jacaranda hollow form about 6"x6" - the wood was wet and the blank wax coated when I started. When I turned it, especially while hollowing the wood, which is a mild color I picked with an eye to wood burning and possibly piercing, shed a bunch of water out the end grain, leaving stains on both sides. I have had the piece in a drawer for about a week while it dries and took it out to look at it earlier today. I had not thought about staining when I put it away, but there are noticeable stains now.

I still have to reverse it and take the tenon off so I can definitely remount and sand or possibly re-turn as it does not seem to have moved much, though I might take that back once I remount it. Its about 1/4" thick, and I still need to do some inside sanding.

So what do I do to remove or minimize the stain? I do not particularly want to burn the area where the stain is, but may do a full on SW Native American pattern. I have been collecting Navaho pottery for inspiration...

Thom Sturgill
04-06-2014, 11:38 AM
To answer my own question - I remounted and sanded the piece and turned off the tenon. To my surprise, the staining sanded off with only a v-e-r-y light sanding.
I rarely turn wet wood and had never turned Jacaranda before so the staining was a surprise and I expected it to penetrate the wood.

charlie knighton
04-06-2014, 6:56 PM
is that austrailan wood, Thom.......

Thom Sturgill
04-06-2014, 8:39 PM
No Charlie, Florida tropical tree. Has beautiful flowers that bloom in the spring. They do grow some in Australia though.