PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander power feed question

Kevin Bourque
04-05-2014, 3:20 PM
I just bought a homemade 5 hp. 36" drum sander on craigslist . It has infeed and outfeed rollers that are linked together with sprockets and chains to synchronize them. The problem is that somebody removed the device that ran the rollers and I'm not sure how to fix it. All thats there now is a loop of chain which hangs down from the roller assembly that was once attached to a motor or gearbox. Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks

Loren Woirhaye
04-05-2014, 4:45 PM
You need a DC gear motor. You can probably get one from Woodmaster. They make a 36" drum sander.

You can use an AC gear motor too, but it won't be able to get down nearly as slow as a DC one. Cheaper though.

Bradley Gray
04-05-2014, 5:20 PM
The performax and supermax sanders use a variable speed sanding belt conveyor that is pretty much self contained with a DC motor.
You might be able to buy one for your sander.

Kevin Bourque
04-05-2014, 6:16 PM
I've been doing some research and it seems a treadmill motor and controller would do the trick. Anybody ever try this?

Steve Peterson
04-07-2014, 1:33 PM
A treadmill motor may work, but is probably much more powerful than needed. The Jet 16/32 and 22/44 sanders have something like a 1/30hp DC gearmotor.

Steve

Kevin Bourque
04-07-2014, 4:45 PM
I picked up a free treadmill on craigslist and I'm going to try using that motor and control system. I agree its probably overkill, but its free.:)