PDA

View Full Version : Which Saw for bench joinery

Eric Dritsas
04-05-2014, 3:05 PM
I am about to build a split top roubo bench. I have nearly settled on the design. I am planning on laminated 2x4 top 6 ft long by 27 in, unless I can find hardwood for a reasonable price, locally. Leg vise using Lee Valley screw and Lee Valley face vise in end position spanning 1 of the 12 inch wide top sections. Round dog holes. Sliding deadman.

I need to purchase a saw for cutting the tenons for the joinery. I don't have the time for rust hunting and fettling, so I prefer to buy ready to use. My two leading candidates are the Veritas Tenon saw and Veritas carcass saw. I am leaning toward the Veritas Carcass saw. It seems like it would be more versatile than the Tenon saw.

Which saw would be best for this job and for future projects? I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you
Eric

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-05-2014, 4:42 PM
My roubo-esque bench, slab top on heavy legs, with mortise and tenon joinery between the legs/stretchers and between the legs/top, I used panel saws for all the joinery cuts. 7pt rip saw, a similar cross cut, and an 11 pt. crosscut panel for the "show" parts of tenons. Although they're more readily available in new production, on something bench sized, (in my limited experience) even the larger backsaws are coming close to pushing the limit, even outside of the issue of whether or not the back interferes with the cut. Particularly for the ripping cuts.

Appropriately sized/toothed mid-price-range Japanese-style saws can also be an attractive option at the price point; My gyokucho brand saw could have been handy on my bench build.

Randy Bonella
04-05-2014, 8:38 PM
Hind sight Panel saw would have been best, I used a Japanese pull saw, don't recall what the type was but had crosscut teeth on one side and rip teeth on the other. Problem with backsaws or tenon saws is that the back (stiffener) of the saw might get in the way when trying to cut a 4"-5" tenon. I'd opt for panel saw if I were to do it again.

Randy...

Eric Dritsas
04-06-2014, 7:15 AM
Once the bench is made, I don't see myself doing many more projects with 2x4's.

I have a panel saw. I'll start with that.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jim Matthews
04-06-2014, 7:30 AM
Once the bench is made, I don't see myself doing many more projects with 2x4's.

I have a panel saw. I'll start with that.

Good call.
I find that larger saws sit in my till, waiting for their annual
polish and oiling. Saws the length of my arm and shorter get used.