PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Lantern

Shawn Pixley
04-05-2014, 2:11 PM
For the first time I used someone else's plans / concepts in making a Japanese Lantern / Light for our entry. I have been diligently trying to reduce my scrap pile before I start the next two projects. The woods are curly maple and african mahogany. The finish is shellac. The paper is rice paper with silk fiber added. I made the rice glue myself.

Julie Moriarty
04-05-2014, 3:39 PM
You are amazing, Shawn! Now I want one.. or two.

Yonak Hawkins
04-05-2014, 3:44 PM
Very cool, Shawn. That lantern really has style. The rice paper lens material is interesting. Is it readily available ? Does it have body or is it much like paper ? Would it hold up outdoors ?

Shawn Pixley
04-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Very cool, Shawn. That lantern really has style. The rice paper lens material is interesting. Is it readily available ? Does it have body or is it much like paper ? Would it hold up outdoors ?

The rice paper is, well, paper. I ordered it online from eshoji.com (I have no affiliation other than a satisfied customer). This paper is for indoors only. But they have other papers that have a mylar layer that is considerably more durable. I plan on using this for some window shojis I intend to make. The other taditional paper is mulberry paper.

Shawn Pixley
04-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Julie, thanks. This is well within your skills. These are great projects to use up scrap and fill time between other projects.

Aaron Berk
04-06-2014, 12:18 AM
First and foremost, AWESOME light! :cool: you did fantastic.

Now how about making a mounting medallion of sorts, in a complimenting style, so you can get rid of the white plastic and eye hooks?

And to repeat my 1st comment, I really like the light.
The 4th photo where it is light up with no flash? ...... perfect!

Matt Uchida
04-06-2014, 6:37 PM
Do you have plans or did you just draw your own? I made a Japanese style lampshade one time but after a long time trying to develop a plan my lamp shade didn't turn out all that great.

Shawn Pixley
04-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Do you have plans or did you just draw your own? I made a Japanese style lampshade one time but after a long time trying to develop a plan my lamp shade didn't turn out all that great.

LOML bought me a book which describes how to make 15 or so different lanterns. Typically, I only make my own designs, so this was a first for me. Most of the technique is making accurate dados in straight, square, and properly sized stock. The book I used was, "Making Japanese-Style Lamps & Lanterns" by Edward R. Turner (ISBN 13: 9780881791983).

Raymond Fries
04-08-2014, 8:21 AM
Very nice Shawn! Excellent use for your small pieces. I bet it looks nice with the bench and mat you made.

Enjoy it always...