PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Dad

Moses Yoder
04-05-2014, 5:43 AM
My father was diagnosed with congestive heart failure about 5 years ago. Last year in August he fell and broke the ball off the top of his femur. We opted not to do the surgery to repair it due to his health, chances of not making it out of anesthesia. He was moved to a nursing home where he succumbed to congestive heart failure on November 25, 2013. It was a peaceful passing, most of the family was there from all over the country. I was at work, figuring he would last another couple weeks; in retrospect I wish I had been there but there was no way to know.

My dad was born into a Swartzentruber Amish family and left the Amish when I was 2. I am currently using his pic taken a little before I was born as my profile pic.

We were raised in an Amish-Mennonite church; we had electricity and indoor plumbing and cars but no radio or TV.

I am the second boy from the right.

What brings this all up is that we are currently going through all of dad's stuff. I stop by to visit my mom on Fridays after work and was there yesterday. He had quite a bit of fishing gear and at one time expressed an interest in tying flies. They did not have much money, and neither did I. I told him to go to a local sporting goods store and buy a fly tying kit and he did. I showed him the basics of how to get started and he began making his own flies. The vises that come with those cheap kits are atrocious and should be outlawed. I was in a local sporting goods store one time and bought him a nice little vise, cost me about $120 if I remember right, and he enjoyed it for many years. Yesterday I was sorting through some of his stuff and saw that vise. My mom asked me if I wanted it, since I had bought it for him, and I brought it home. Most of the stuff will be auctioned off to the children; what we don't want will be sold at a yard sale. So this morning I have the vise on the table beside me, thinking of the many fishing trips with dad, enjoying the memories of the times we had together.

Jason Roehl
04-05-2014, 5:54 AM
Great post, Moses. Thanks for sharing the memories!

Brian Deakin
04-05-2014, 7:26 AM
This is the poem read out at my dad,s funeral

Death is Nothing at AllDeath is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you.
For an interval.
Somewhere. Very near.
Just around the corner.

All is well.

regards Brian

Gordon Eyre
04-05-2014, 9:03 AM
Sorry for your loss Moses, it is always tough to lose a parent.

Phil Thien
04-05-2014, 9:48 AM
Great post, bringing back memories of my own, thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Moses,

My condolences! Your father lives on in your heart.

Bruce Page
04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Great post, bringing back memories of my own, thanks!

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Great post Mr. Yoder

Raymond Fries
04-05-2014, 4:55 PM
Saying goodby to loved ones is never easy. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. May all of the good memories with dad carry you and your family through the dark hours.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Joe Tilson
04-05-2014, 6:48 PM
Moses,
Just think, when you see your dad again it will still be today. Sorry for your loss.

Joe Tilson

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2014, 7:52 PM
I enjoyed your post Moses. Id wondered about your avatar. Thats a good way to commemorate your Dad. Id like to leave you with a quote that has given me peace when I have needed it:

"Death ends a life, not a relationship."

Respectfully,
Fred