PDA

View Full Version : back yard gate

Vince Shriver
04-05-2014, 3:14 AM
I'm still a little confused. If I construct a tongue and groove gate from redwood boards, do I glue them together (with tightbond 3 or something similar) into a single panel? Also do I just screw each board to the horizontal and diagonal cleats after gluing (or not gluing).

Lee Schierer
04-05-2014, 7:57 AM
Although gluing in theory would make your gate stiffer and less likely to sag, it isn't the best idea. Wood moves as it gets wet and dries out. Unless it is free to do so, it will produce forces that cause warping, bowing cupping and cracking. The T&G boards will prevent light from showing through the gate and help keep the boards aligned. I would recommend screwing the face boards to the cross pieces and diagonal brace, leaving a slight space between boards if the wood is really dry. hen the first time it rains on your gate the wood can expand without damaging your gate.

Kent A Bathurst
04-05-2014, 6:46 PM
What Lee said.

This is not a place to use glue. Fasteners for the boards, with small gaps between boards for expansion/contraction.

I'd use stainless steel for the fasteners. Prevent staining on the nice redwood.