PDA

View Full Version : Leyland Cypress cabinet

Andrew Hughes
04-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Done finally with the woodworking part of this cabinet for our house.I cut the wood from two Cypress trees that grew at the foothills of Mt Baldy.The trees were about 80-100 years old and not too common around here theres a bettle that usually kills them before they get that big.
So i did lose lot of wood because i left the bark on too long and when the bettle found my stash they spread very quickly.Had to cut out the infested bark and couple inches on both sides of my slabs.
Anyways its really nice wood to work planes easy smells great.Couple of my best slabs did check a bit too much.So i used bowties on inside and out to help when the summer comes.
The wood has been drying for 4 years and was at 8mc.
The other woods are Vg douglas Fir,Cedar of leb,Walnut.
This was also my first project useing old brown glue i really like that stuff.
The finish is laquer on the outside and shellac on the inside.
The offset knife hinge are leevalleys.
Thats about it not very fancy but tons of fun.
Still need to pick up the glass for the doors and order handles.
Andrew

Robert McNaull
04-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Very nice cabinet, that has some pretty grain structure in the door panels and in the back.

One thing that also caught my curiosity that is not related to the cabinet is the dewalt planer stacked on top of the power matic planer?

-Bob

Andrew Hughes
04-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks Robert,About the dewalt I am so surprised how long that machine has lasted me.If it died tomorrow I would start saving for a new one.
Nice picture frames and drawing you posted with a great story behind them!

Cody Armstrong
04-05-2014, 7:38 AM
Looks good Andrew! Especially like the book matching. It's such a reward when using a tree you've had milled. :)

brad jansen
04-05-2014, 1:48 PM
Great work. An Heirloom for sure.

joe valsi
04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Very nice job. Like the wood, from Mt. San Antonio !! <G>

Marty Gulseth
04-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Really good looking cabinet - impressive work!

Regards, Marty

Ron Brese
04-06-2014, 5:12 PM
Can't say that I've seen a piece made from Leyland cypress. Nice looking.

Ron

Adam Trombello
04-06-2014, 7:00 PM
Awesome result!

Just curious, how come you have the dewalt thickness planer on top of the powermatic planer?

Andrew Hughes
04-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys for the nice compliments,one thing I forgot to mention is the piece separates so it's not too hard to move.
Hi Adam I have it up there for no other reason than it fits nicely.And I also use it more than the powermatic.
The infinity carbide knives leave a very nice surface compared to the bryd head in the powermatic.
Since I hand plane my work It fits my style.

Christopher Charles
04-08-2014, 2:39 PM
Hello Adam,

Great looking cabinet and think it's fantastic you were able to mill it yourself. Will look forward to seeing it completed and in place.

Also, I couldn't help notice the Agazzani(?)--I've the B-18, but your's looks bigger...

Andrew Hughes
04-08-2014, 5:23 PM
Thanks Christopher, between paying work house work and my amateur woodwork it will be next month before I can order the glass and handles.
Yes it is a Aggi b 20/20 they make great saws would have liked a bigger table thou.
Andrew

Jim Matthews
04-08-2014, 6:52 PM
Kudos

What finish will you apply?

Christopher Charles
04-09-2014, 10:40 PM
I hear you on the slow progress--i've been working on a sofa table for more than a year...

I bought my B-18 just before the 18/18 and 20/20 came out... Can honestly say that I've yet to max out the capacity of the B-18, but can also honestly say that I'd still like a bigger saw (is there 2"-itsis like there's 2'-itsis for boaters? as in "if I had a boat two feet longer, I could ____"

Cheers,
Chris C.