PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Tricks for applying brush-on water based acrylic finish?

ShawnE Curry
04-04-2014, 3:16 PM
286467I'm very much a beginner into the world of fine woodworking - most of my woodworking background is in stick framing, building decks, etc. So please forgive my ignorance - might need things explained in simple terms. :o

I'm working on a shop project - Norm Abram Deluxe Router Station. I used oak ply for the cabinet, and maple ply for the drawer faces. I wanted the faces to end up clear, so I followed the advice of some here, and went with a water-based finish (Minwax Polycrylic - that's what they had at HD). I don't have spray equipment, so that wasn't an option for me.

I've worked with regular polyurethane before, and that's what I used on all the oak - and it turned out great. The water based stuff? Not so much. My first two attempts, I ended up completely sanding off.

The first time, I applied too much, and ended up with a lot of runs after it dried. The second time, I tried applying thinner coats, but it was drying out on me so fast that I kept ending up with a lot of brush streaks. By the time I got halfway through the faces I decided I should just experiment on the rest of them to see if I could figure out a better method. So on the last few, I applied it a little heavier, and rested the drawers on end so that the faces were horizontal while they dried.

The last few turned out pretty well, or at least I thought so until I sanded them. They ended up with a cloudy, spotty sort of appearance in the places where the finish had dried a little thicker, and that I sanded a little heavier (probably 2-3x as many light strokes).

What am I doing wrong? Or should I not be worried about the spottiness after the first coat, because subsequent coats will fill them in?

ShawnE Curry
04-04-2014, 4:14 PM
Any thoughts on premixed spray can stuff? Looks like I can get spray on shellac or clear lacquer - maybe I'll try one of those.

John TenEyck
04-04-2014, 6:58 PM
Spraying certainly is easier, but you should be able to get good results with a brush, too. I use a foam brush with WB products. Whenever possible, I have the piece lying horizontal to eliminate runs/sags as much as possible. You just have to practice to know how much to apply so that you can keep a wet edge without laying on so much that it runs over the edges.

GF's EnduroVar on stained cherry:

John

ShawnE Curry
04-07-2014, 4:50 PM
Well you were right - it's just going to take some practice. I got a little bit better results over the weekend - no streaking, and got most of the bubbles out by the third coat. I think I was still applying it too heavily after talking it over with my mom. Turns out she's an expert finisher and she did all the trim in my parent's house with water based finish, and she had a couple of tricks to share. She learned just about everything she knows about finishing from helping my grandfather when she was younger. So while I didn't get the chance to learn from him personally, he still passed it down indirectly :)