PDA

View Full Version : Single Phase motor for Jointer

Nate Conley
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I posted earlier on a 1970s powermatic 8 inch jointer I bought. It came with a 3 phase, 3/4hp 3450rpm motor (3.5 inch pulley, on a 5/8 shaft). It also had the magnetic starter box as well, at least that's what it looks like. I need a single phase and would like to elimate the starter and go straight to the switch. I already got help on what switch to buy, now I need help on a motor.

I have searched craigslist but have come up empty. I am thinking it will be easiest to buy new. Generally, I do not buy Harbor Freight but saw this motor on there and want to know it will work. It's closer to 3600 rpms, but if I'm reading the PM manual right, it says it can handle up to 1.5hp 3600 rpms. Will this one work, or do I need a totally enclosed motor for safety? Is it junk? Any suggestions on where to look?

http://m.harborfreight.com/1-12-horsepower-compressor-duty-motor-60814.html

Thanks.
Nate

Loren Woirhaye
04-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Practically there is no difference between a 3600 rpm motor and a 3450 rpm motor. You can use a 1750 rpm motor too, just use a bigger sheave.

TEFC are the best ones for woodworking applications where dust is falling on the motor, but I think inside a jointer cabinet with a chip chute you'll be fine with one that's not.

John McClanahan
04-04-2014, 2:44 PM
My 8" jointer has a 2 hp 3450 rpm motor on it. If you don't want to go with 2 hp, I would recommend at least 1 hp. 1 1/2 hp would be better. With 1 1/2 hp or less, you could run it on 120 volts.

John

Myk Rian
04-04-2014, 2:59 PM
To give you a direct answer without comment, yes, that motor will work.

mark kosse
04-04-2014, 4:27 PM
I'm going to give you another answer. No. The cabinet on a PM60 tends to fill up with sawdust even with dust collection so unless you check it often or move it often I recommend a TEFC. My PM60 has a 1.5 baldor with a mag starter, both single phase.

Ruperto Mendiones
04-04-2014, 5:32 PM
Consider getting a vfd [on ebay (often ~$100)] and save the hassle of changing motors, pulleys and belts.

ken masoumi
04-04-2014, 5:55 PM
If you were closer , the motor in the picture below has been up for sale for 2 weeks,may be he can ship it if the cost is not too high:

http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-power-tools-5-hp-single-phase-motor-W0QQAdIdZ580074692

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDY0MA==/z/9skAAMXQydtTPGgL/$_35.JPG

Don Jarvie
04-04-2014, 6:06 PM
Try EBay. To skip the starter make sure you get a motor with a reset on it. You should be able to find one pretty cheap.

Nate Conley
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a brand new 3/4 hp (true rated power is closer to 1hp), 3450 rpm TEFC motor from someone local. It ended up being between that and ordering a Grizzly one off Amazon. Going local was an easy choice.

What wasn't so easy was going with the 3/4 or going with more power. I cannot take this motor back if it has marks showing it's been installed. So, will bumping it up another 1/4 hp be worth the extra money? Or will the power I got be enough to face joint maple, walnut, and cherry? The 3 phase 3/4 hp motor that was on it seemed to edge joint oak easy, even with dull blades, but I did not see it face joint. Thoughts?

-Nate

Myk Rian
04-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Most 8" jointers I've had were between 1.5 and 2 hp.

Andy Pratt
04-06-2014, 5:33 PM
I realize the op already bought a motor, but for anyone reading this in the future I would also recommend keeping the 3ph motor and buying a vfd. Much simpler.

Scott T Smith
04-07-2014, 8:54 AM
I realize the op already bought a motor, but for anyone reading this in the future I would also recommend keeping the 3ph motor and buying a vfd. Much simpler.

Ditto. I would also highly recommend against doing away with the magnetic starter for safety reasons. More hp is good.

Nate Conley
04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. However, now I'm a bit confused because every electrician I talked to says to get a single phase motor and a new switch. Even with a new switch, should I keep the starter? I have not installed the motor yet and can take it back. Another reason I made the switch was because the 3 phase motor was old, dusty and the bearings were shot. I will get 15% more power with this single phase 3/4 hp, but I'm still wondering if that's still not enough.

-Nate

Scott T Smith
04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. However, now I'm a bit confused because every electrician I talked to says to get a single phase motor and a new switch. Even with a new switch, should I keep the starter? I have not installed the motor yet and can take it back. Another reason I made the switch was because the 3 phase motor was old, dusty and the bearings were shot. I will get 15% more power with this single phase 3/4 hp, but I'm still wondering if that's still not enough.

-Nate

Nate, a magnetic starter is a safety feature that prevents the equipment from restarting in the event of a power failure. I like them even for personal equipment.

A lot of the "old, dusty" motors provide more torque than the newer, imported copies, but by the time that you have the bearings replaced and purchase a VFD it may be more cost effective to swap out.

New 8" jointers typically have either 2 or 3 hp motors on them, so 3/4 hp sounds very underpowered to me. Edge jointing with lower HP is no big deal, but face jointing wide boards is a different story. Personally I would not use a 3/4 or even 1 hp motor on a jointer that wide; I would shoot for at least 3 hp.

Nate Conley
04-07-2014, 1:11 PM
Scott, great info, thanks. I will be doing a lot of face jointing and that's what I was affraid of. Unfortunately I can't take it back it I bolt it to the frame, so I have no way of testing the power out. I will take the motor back and go for a larger one. Also, will I be able to use the starter that was wired to the three phase with a single phase?

-Nate

Scott T Smith
04-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Scott, great info, thanks. I will be doing a lot of face jointing and that's what I was affraid of. Unfortunately I can't take it back it I bolt it to the frame, so I have no way of testing the power out. I will take the motor back and go for a larger one. Also, will I be able to use the starter that was wired to the three phase with a single phase?

-Nate

Nate, some 3 phase starters will work on single phase; it depends upon the voltage of the mag starter as well as it's HP rating. If your existing starter is rated at 120 or 240 volts you should be fine as long as it is rated for the same or higher HP.