PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt miter saw problem warning

John Piwaron
04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm posting this just to inform. My DW705 normally works well and gives me a glass smooth cut with a 12" Forrest Chopmaster blade installed.

I was cleaning up behind my miter saw, a DW705. I have mine located in a recess in a shop built table. While vacuuming, I noticed a set screw laying on the table behind the saw. I stopped cleaning and picked up the set screw. I knew that couldn't be good, I don't normally find loose hardware lying around, especially anywhere near my miter saw.

I removed the saw from it's usual home and put it on a surface where I could carefully look it over from all sides. I noticed that there are two threaded holes in the back in an aluminum casting. One was apparently where the set screw came from. The other screw was loose. Further inspection revealed that these set screws hold the pin the saw rotates on and has a heavy coil spring around it. The pin had nearly worked itself free on one side. Very soon there would have been a spontaneous dis-assembly of the saw from it's base. I pushed that pin back into place and replaced the missing screw. I tightened both screws. I'm confident that it won't try to dis-assemble itself any time soon. It's all good now.

I'm posting this warn others that may own this saw to take a look and make sure yours isn't doing the same.

Rick Potter
04-04-2014, 1:17 PM
Thanks John,

I will check mine. May I suggest loc tite on those screws...end of problem.

Rick Potter

EDIT: Mine checked out ok. I did lube the pivot and spring. It stopped that squeak I have had for a few years.

Kevin Womer
04-04-2014, 8:55 PM
Thanks John, I will check mine as well.

Jason Roehl
04-05-2014, 6:10 AM
One more job to add to the list...but thanks.

Michael Mahan
04-05-2014, 11:45 AM
could be those set screws were never tightened in the 1st place
set screws don't back off under normal usage

Myk Rian
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
You ought to inform DeWalt. 2 set screws will hold if you don't have Loctite.