PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Burl

Clarence Martin
04-04-2014, 9:01 AM
Well, I got the burl and now need to figure out the best way to cut it. Picture a chuck of wood that was chainsawed off a log like you would do for firewood before you put it through the wood splitter. That what it looks like. Now , the Burl surrounds half the chuck of wood . Have not taken thickness measurement of the burl , but it looks to be a good 1 3/4 to 2 inches in thickness.

Should I...

1. Rip the Burl off the chuck of wood with the Table Saw

or

Slice it off with the 12 inch Sears Miter Saw ?

I don't think my Ryobi Band saw will have the power to cut through this Burl.

Thanks

Clarence.

Ralph Lindberg
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Photo?With scale? Might help make the advise accurate

Jack Mincey
04-05-2014, 5:13 PM
A photo would help, but I would say putting any saw to a burl that has a circular type blade could be very very dangerous to the operator of said saw. I have always used a chainsaw to cut burls down to size and put a flat surface on one side so that side can then be laid down on the table of my bandsaw to cut into blanks.
Jack

Thomas Canfield
04-05-2014, 8:21 PM
A picture is worth 1000 words usually, and here for sure. I have turned some Maple burl with the burl out or to top of bowl. I used a large Forstner bit to make a flat spot for mounting a face plate or the worm screw in chuck after shimming up the burl to get the orientation wanted. I could then round off the outside and form tenon on bottom to later reverse and turn out inside.

Dennis Ford
04-05-2014, 9:46 PM
Guessing the best way to cut a burl is mostly just that; a guess. Experience and some time looking at all sides of the burl makes for a better guess but you won't know until after the first cut.