PDA

View Full Version : Spinning saw nuts

Pete Hotard
04-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Picked up an old Diston D-8 the other day. It is in pretty good condition with some light surface rust. When I went to remove the handle like I've done on a dozen or so other old saws, two of the nuts spun in the hole rather than unscrew from each other. Because they are counter sunk there really isn't a way to stabilize the other side to prevent spinning. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get these two pesky ones apart so I can clean the plate and refinish the handle.

Anthony Moumar
04-04-2014, 1:15 AM
I've had that problem before. I used a piece of dowel that was slightly smaller than the nuts diameter. I'm not sure if there is a proper name for them but you can buy small pieces of rubber cloth that are used to help open jars. I think any anti slip cloth would work though. Cut off about at 1/2" length of dowel and place it on your bench and lay the anti slip cloth over the top. Then put the nut on to the piece of dowel and clamp the saw handle down to the bench of either side of the bolt. Don't use too much pressure with the clamps though, you don't want to break the handle.

I found doing that holds the but in place enought to losen the bolt and get it undone. There's probably a better way but that worked for me.

Paul Saffold
04-04-2014, 6:07 AM
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/unlocking-a-frozen-sawnut.html

He has good tutorials on saw rehab, plus beautiful saws for sale too.