PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane Mixture?

Gary Petit
04-03-2014, 7:52 PM
Hello,

I am writing to see if any of you mix anything with your polyurethane? I know I have read some things about mixing some things with the polyurethane, so you don't use so much, but I am wondering if you expert wood workers out there do the same? Right now, I just use it straight out of the can. I am wondering if there is any other way to make it last any longer?

I know back in the day during my wood classes in high school my instructor mixed polyurethane with something for the spray gun, but I cannot remember exactly.

Thanks,

Gary

Myk Rian
04-03-2014, 8:13 PM
I use 1/3 mineral spirits to 2/3 poly. Adjust to taste.
This is brush on, as I don't have a spray gun.

steven taggart
04-03-2014, 9:01 PM
My favorite finish is 25% boiled linseed oil, 25% poly (I prefer satin) and 50% mineral spirits. I brush on and wipe off in about ten minutes

Jim Andrew
04-03-2014, 9:20 PM
I bought a quart of Varathane brand urethane, used it straight out of the can on a panel, turned out very nice. Varathane was the finish used when I was in college 40 plus years ago in the shop at FHKSU, and most of it was wipe on, wipe off. The instructor said it was the only urethane that came in the right consistency for that purpose. I have been using Minwax wipe on poly, and still have some, but am going to switch to Varathane. Noticed that the company had been bought out, but seems like they have yet to ruin the product.

David Eisenhauer
04-03-2014, 9:27 PM
By thinning it, you make it easier to apply without leaving brush marks and it will dry a little faster - but - you end up with less coverage on your project and will have to add more coats to end up with the desired thickness. A popular method of applying poly is to cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits or naptha (a little faster drying) for a first coat that is wiped on with a paper towel or rag pad. The 2nd coat is cut around 60/40 - 70/30, 3rd coat 80/20 and finally cut just enough to allow pad wiping rather than brushing. The exact cut percentage is not critical. You will end up having to put on more coats (for furniture stuff that needs the protection), but do not have to deal with brush marks.

David Kumm
04-03-2014, 9:42 PM
I think you have to experiment with each brand and find out what consistency works for the application. Mineral spirits, turpentine. or naptha as the case may be. I still only use poly for really hard wear as no matter what you cut it with or how you apply it , poly still looks like poly compared to a good quality varnish. IMO. Dave

Loren Woirhaye
04-04-2014, 12:16 AM
I've been padding on oil modified waterborne gloss poly with great results. I apply it a lot like french polish with shellac. I use it straight from the can. It would take a lot of labor to lay a thick coat on a floor, but for fine furniture where a thin finish can work, it's a delight. Looks and feels like a Maloof style finish.