PDA

View Full Version : Good Ridgid Warranty Experience

Tom Hartranft
04-03-2014, 3:50 PM
Have read about Ridgid lifetime warranty being a plus for Ridgid tools. Had occasion to experience it first hand. Two weeks ago, got out my Ridgid EB44242 Oscillating Spindle Sander and ... motor 'buzz' sound and no rpm when power switched on. Tinkered with it for half a day but no joy. Web search of Ridgid service centers and found one 10 mi away ... hoooray. Called, took it in Mar 21st, got a phone call today to come get it. Serviceman said Ridgid first sent him a replacement starter relay as first step in troubleshooting the symptoms ... no joy when he installed it. Ridgid next sent him the full motor/spindle assembly ... that did the trick.

Asked service agent what he/Ridgid thought might be the root problem inside the motor. The old motor spindle moved axially up and down when not powered on. New one doesn't budge when not powered on. Perhaps motor drive failed inside motor housing? I had last used it summer of 2013 and it started / ran fine. Then it sat in my heated basement workshop till March 21st when I got the motor buzz and no rpm. It was purchased fall 2012 and only used lightly about four times through summer 2013.

I'm happy that I have a running OSS again. I'm pleased with 'no questions asked warranty service.' Hoping this motor/spindle ass'y will be robust to last for many years as I find the spindle sander to be quite helpful for edge work.

Tom

Bruce Wrenn
04-05-2014, 9:01 PM
Rigid currently offers a THREE YEAR WARRANTY, and a Lifetime Service Agreement that you have to sign up for in first ninety days of ownership. They are not the same!

Mark Andrew
04-05-2014, 9:20 PM
I'm glad someone's had a good experience with them. Mine has been appalling.

Case 1: I had a faulty sander, which cost $39 in the first place. I took it for service, and the service guys wanted a $50 deposit in case OWT denied the claim. They turned it into a lottery. I declined, threw the sander away, and decided that the LLSA was not worth a dime.

Case 2: I had an old grey RAS. The grey tools truly did have a lifetime warranty, rather than the LLSA. The motor died. I called RIDGID (not wanting to go back to the jokers I went to with the sander) to be told that there is no service, and no parts on the RAS. That would be the RAS that has a lifetime warranty, and the company (OWT) is still in business.

RIDGID tools are cheap, some of them are good, some aren't. But I have no faith whatsoever in their warranties, and view the tools as disposable. It's a shame, I had all the stationary tools at one point. I equipped an entire shop with them, but have steadily thinned them out. They've served a purpose, so I don't bear any ill-will, but the warranty/LLSA is worthless to me.

Andrew Joiner
04-05-2014, 9:23 PM
I got a Ridgid 12v drill/flashlight kit a few years back. I love this drill. Signed up for Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA). To my surprise they allowed me to use my local Home Depot for a LSA problem. I got that tip from Bruce Wrenn. Much closer than driving to the Ridgid service centers listed when I bought my kit. I'm VERY happy!

Thanks Bruce.