PDA

View Full Version : Laser has stopped firing

Walt Langhans
04-03-2014, 2:03 PM
It was just going along doing it's thing and then nothing.

I've turned it off and on again, no help.
I checked the fuses in the back panel where the plugs are, and they are fine
I crimped the water supply hose and the sensor went off, so I'm assuming that's ok.
I tried running a different file, the head moves like it should, but no laser.
I tried hitting the plus button, no laser.
There is also no reading on the amp meter as well.

I'm not sure what to check next or how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Khalid Nazim
04-03-2014, 5:01 PM
Check the laser power supply. Someone on this forum recently had a similar issue and the reason was the power supply. Do you have a spare?

Bill George
04-03-2014, 5:04 PM
Walt this user had the same problem just a day or so ago> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?216029-Shenhui-Problem-Please-Help

I'd check the connections on both power supplies, please power off and unplug before removing any covers! The HV supply can hold a charge even when the power is off so be careful on those heavy leads on the tube or connections.

Bruce Dorworth
04-03-2014, 7:31 PM
I would also check the magnetic door latch. So, the laser head moves, but the laser does not fire? You might want to look at the amp gauge on the front of the laser to see whta it does.

Bruce

Walt Langhans
04-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Turns out it was the safety switch. Yeah Shenhui tech support :D

Bruce Dorworth
04-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Do you mean the magnetic door switch?

Bruce

George M. Perzel
04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Walt;
Cmon man-what safety switch and where is it?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Walt Langhans
04-04-2014, 12:23 PM
@ Bruce there is no door switch on my machine.

@ George the big red emergency shut off safety on the front of the machine. There is one for the tube power supply and one for the rest of the electronics.

Bill George
04-04-2014, 1:02 PM
So what are you saying? The big Red switch was turned off? If so.... pretty hard to miss?

Walt Langhans
04-04-2014, 1:16 PM
So what are you saying? The big Red switch was turned off? If so.... pretty hard to miss?

The switch went bad. Regardless of how you pressed the button, the switch would not close and no power was getting to the lasers power supply.

Bill George
04-04-2014, 1:31 PM
The switch went bad. Regardless of how you pressed the button, the switch would not close and no power was getting to the lasers power supply.

Not like the one on my Chinese milling machine? It twists out to turn on and pushing it in turns it off, until its twisted out again. Its my guess they had a batch of bad switches, it would be hard to find.

Matt McCoy
04-04-2014, 2:17 PM
I've replaced bad E-stop buttons on a few machines. Some are a little more robust than others. Besides a fuse, it's probably the most welcome repair to get going again.

George M. Perzel
04-05-2014, 9:26 AM
Walt;
OK-got ya
I have five on my machine.
One for the Power Supply
One for the electronics
Two Aux-used for the two air compressors
One Emergency Stop at the top.
All work like Bill said.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Walt Langhans
04-05-2014, 1:34 PM
And just in case this happens to anyone else, lightobject dot com has replacement switches