PDA

View Full Version : red elm bench top

Robert Culver
04-03-2014, 1:49 PM
well here it is the start of my new bench a red elm laminated bench top I cant wait to get this going but It may have to rest a bit until my living room is wrapped up Just thought I would share!!

Tim Atkins
04-03-2014, 4:40 PM
That is going to be a nice looking bench. Red Elm is gorgeous wood. Is it difficult to work?

Tim

Rich Riddle
04-03-2014, 4:51 PM
We lost all of our Elm trees years ago; it's good to see some things positive accomplished with Elm.

Brian Holcombe
04-03-2014, 5:00 PM
Gorgeous bench top!

Robert Culver
04-03-2014, 5:06 PM
Tim I would compare it to working with oak pretty much the same texture and grain as oak. Not the worst wood I have ever work by a long shot but then again its not cherry or walnut either....its pretty hard to right up there with maple and red oak should prove to be a nice wood for a work bench .

Ron Brese
04-03-2014, 6:43 PM
You've got the hardest part done.

Ron

Pat Barry
04-03-2014, 6:51 PM
well here it is the start of my new bench a red elm laminated bench top I cant wait to get this going but It may have to rest a bit until my living room is wrapped up Just thought I would share!!

Red elm, eh? That's unique. Was it difficult to work? It sure does look nice!

Christopher Charles
04-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Red elm's a good use for a bench top since its prone to tear-out and thus somewhat fussy for furniture. Some might tell that the top will be on the dark side, but I don't think it would make much difference. The base of my roubo is red elm and have been very happy with it.

Good luck and let's know about your progress.

C

Robert Culver
04-04-2014, 9:26 AM
Well This is my first time working with elm it is somewhat fussy as you have said but not overly bad. I am still in the works of getting all my wood together for this project I may make the base out of elm or ash which I can gather up in the proper amount. I cant wait to have proper work bench for my hand tools. It will be a long process because im right in the middle of remodeling my living room as well but I will keep everybody posted..

Christopher Charles
04-04-2014, 12:55 PM
And you won't soon forget the smell...

Good luck and go steady, my build took years but was way worth it.

C

Robert Culver
04-04-2014, 3:59 PM
Chris lol the smell hahaha its interesting. I sue hope it don't take years I have all my vise hardware and some bolts and stuff should be here Monday then im off to find my leg and stretcher wood im hoping to have this completed well before fall of this year. Im just gonna have to work back and forth between the two projects.