PDA

View Full Version : Need a place to learn to properly set up, use and maintain a hand plane

Ricky Rater
04-03-2014, 1:40 PM
I was cleaning the glue off of a recently built desk top last night using an old chisel. I didn't have much flattening to do because the glue-up went well, but I have some. I started using the belt sander, which has worked for me in the past. However, the sanding belts all broke on me very quickly... I think because they are very old and the tape used to hold them together gave up the ghost.

Plus my 7 year old son was in the shop with me (it's a desk for him and his brother). I wanted something quieter. So I grabbed my Stanley No. 4 plane and it worked really great getting the top cleaned up. I even let my son take a few strokes with it. That, I'll tell you, is one of the most rewarding moments I've had in this hobby.

As I was showing him how to use it, I realized I don't know enough myself to be an effective teacher. Where's a good place (preferably online) for me to learn the basics of using and properly caring for planes? Please keep in mind that, although I've been woodworking as a hobbyist for a while, I'm relatively new to many traditional hand tools and am self taught in all aspects.

Thank you!

Ricky

Jim Koepke
04-03-2014, 2:13 PM
Howdy Ricky,

I have never considered wearing ear protection with a hand plane.

There is a lot of information right here on SMC:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

At the top of the Neanderthal Haven Forum is the Neanderthal Haven Announcements sub-forum which is home to the above and other items.

The Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs has a lot of different threads about specific tool's usage and other interesting subjects.

I am not sure if any tool events sponsored by Lie-Nielsen happen in your neck of the woods. It also looks like you live in SW, NE and Harry Strasil is in SE, NE. He was my first thought as a mentor for you. Though of late I think he is recovering from surgery.

After you give a look in on the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs, if you have more questions there are surely folks here who will be glad to help.

One of my posts covers the rehabilitation of older planes. Another is about getting started with hand planes.

If you search using Google > setting the cap iron < you will find an article by another member here about how to get the most out of the proper setting for the job at hand.

An important aspect with hand planes is learning how to sharpen a blade.

For general information on hand planes and what all the Stanley numbers mean, look here:

http://www.supertool.com/

Here is another good site for general information:

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/planes101/planes101.htm

jtk

jtk

Ricky Rater
04-03-2014, 9:08 PM
Jim,

THANK YOU for taking the time to put that information together. I knew I could simply google some questions or search through past posts randomly, but I asked here for guidance because I hoped someone would help focus the search. Since you did just that, I'll be able to refer back to your post as I start learning. I really appreciate your time.

And that's a good point about the ear protection... I didn't even think about that in the picture! ha. He had the ear muffs on when I was running the sander and we just never took them off. I guess it's good that he is comfortable wearing them. I try to stress safety equipment and he's not even allowed in the shop when I'm running the table saw.

I'm in west-central NE, right in the middle of the Sandhills... beautiful country (assuming it rains this spring!). I'll look up Harry and see if he is somewhat close and willing to help a new Nebraskan (Texas transplant).

Again, thank you.

RR