PDA

View Full Version : Waxing a blank for shipping.

john davey
04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
So I earlier posted that I may look into selling some blanks since I have a tree guy connection. He just cut a cherry tree and is bringing me some logs this week. My question is what is the wax used to apply to a blank that is sold in stores and online. Seems most blanks are waxed and not painted. Now it this is truly as simple as just taking some paste wax and smearing it all over the blank please give me a good smack in the back of the head and let me know :). But if not can someone clue me in as to what is used for this. Or would just painting them be good enough? Thanks, John

Dwight Rutherford
04-03-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal

Scott Hackler
04-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Mike Smith who owns Century Woods (my favorite green wood dealer) cuts up his blanks and dips them in paraffin wax. The blanks you buy at the retail stores are dipped as well. For the average wood turner, Anchorseal is the go to product..BUT beware of the Anchorseal 2. I do not think it works, even close, to the original formula. For reference, a gallon of AS will run about $22 at Woodcraft. I just ordered a 5 gallon bucket straight from UC Coatings, yesterday and with shipping it was $108.

John Keeton
04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
As I recall, Mike Smith told me he started out with an old turkey fryer for the paraffin. Obviously, lower heat and caution are in order.

Wally Dickerman
04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
A guy I know sells a lot of blanks. He bought a large electric frying pan (garage sale?) He melts blocks of paraffin and dips the blank ends in the melted wax. He does all sides. Quick and easy

Scott Hackler
04-03-2014, 12:58 PM
I wish I could source paraffin wax locally, in bulk! It's fairly cheap in California, but the shipping weight kills the discount.

Somewhere I remember a post that someone was going to garage/estate sales and buying up all the old candles they had to be melted down for sealing green blanks. That is a decent (cheap) idea, if you don't mind the scent of the candles and having to wait until you accumulate enough to use. I am impatient and would rather have 50lb of paraffin wax laying around for blank processing days!

Reed Gray
04-03-2014, 3:05 PM
I do ship some trade blanks and use the flat rate postal shipping boxes. I just use the plastic stretch film. I have a 16 inch wide roll. Perfect job of sealing, and no wax mess or waiting for the wax to cool. If I was shipping crates or pallets, I would paint/seal, then wrap in plastic again.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
04-03-2014, 3:32 PM
Parraffin wax - Amazon.com 10lb block $25 free shipping with Amazon prime. Google candle making supplies. Several people sell it on Ebay.

john davey
04-03-2014, 6:11 PM
So any idea how many blanks a 10 lb block will coat? Given blanks 10" round x 6" deep. Thanks, John...

robert baccus
04-03-2014, 10:57 PM
You can always clean ducks with the leftover wax.