PDA

View Full Version : What a great site

Gail O'Rourke
06-22-2005, 7:13 PM
HI,

I saw on another forum that my friend Larry headed this way...and I have been checking it out and this is a great forum. Looks like a lot of information as well as an easy to use board.

I hope you don't mind if I check in.

I am a custom cabinetmaker who often needs inspiration from her fellow woodworkers as well as help with woodworking obstacles.

No need for a welcome, just wanted to let you know I was here.

Thanks!

Michael Gabbay
06-22-2005, 7:16 PM
Hi Gail! Welcome to the Creek. I was over at the other forum (MikeG). I think you'll find this a really great site with a lot of very nice people.

Please share the great work that you do.

Mike

Don Baer
06-22-2005, 7:24 PM
Gail;

I took the liberty to visit your web site and I must say you can certainly be a maor contributor to this forum. You do excellent work. I must say though that I find the Pink tool pouch a bit differant.

Welcome to the Creek and be sure to post some Pix of some of your projects.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-22-2005, 7:24 PM
Welcome Gail! Good info and nice people make this a great place. And, even though I don't have any, we like pictures!

Dennis Peacock
06-22-2005, 7:25 PM
WELCOME GAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to have ya here on SMC. Cabinetmaker aye!!!!! GREAT!!! I'm going to need some advice along the way as I venture into making a set of cabinets soon. :rolleyes: :confused:

Post some pics of your work and tell us a bit about yourself.

Wade on in the water....it's all good and the folks are the best around.

Kent Parker
06-22-2005, 7:48 PM
Hello Gail!

Welcome to the Creek! :D You may find that viewing the Creek is like having many partners in the wood shop. Always someone here with another view of accomplishing a particular task that may have you stumped or when your searching for a variation to a theme. Everything from tools to cappuccino machines.

Its addicting.

Cheers,

KP

Ken Garlock
06-22-2005, 8:21 PM
Welcome to the creek, Gail. Your website is an impressive display of your talents and approach to the world. It was interesting to browse your works. I particularly like the maple office cabinets, nice :cool:

Since you are in America's Hometown, that qualifies your work as Made in America. I would like to see John Ratzenberger do a segment of your work on the Made in America program. Now, that would be neat :cool: :)

Frank Pellow
06-22-2005, 8:40 PM
Welcome the Saw Mill Creek Gail! I have been following your work on John Lucas' web site for some time, so you are a familiar face. Its good to know that you have struck out on your own and I spent some time admiring the work that you have posted on your web site. It certainly will not be the last time I will visit it.

I am wondering if John has convinced you to acquire a lot of Festool products. The demos that you and John did were a big factor on me catching the Festool "bug".

Frank Pellow
06-22-2005, 8:41 PM
Post some pics of your work and tell us a bit about yourself.

Dennis, look at Gail's web site. There is some really nice work shown there.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2005, 9:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Gail! Neat friendly place....beginners to pros all willing to swap information and opinions! Great website you have! Wade in the water's fine!

Mike Cutler
06-22-2005, 9:08 PM
Nice to meet ya' Gail. Although I believe that I may have met you last summer at a Woodcraft Store demo in Warwick RI, that you and John Lucas were putting on.
If I remember correctly you were demoing the Festool line of products and the Festool MFT Table. Of course, my memory could be all messed uo also.
None the less Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Gail O'Rourke
06-22-2005, 9:10 PM
Thanks everybody....

I have been woodworking for about 3 years, I spent my first year working for an upscale cabinetmaker and learned tons...my second, adding onto my house (not personally building but personally paying for) an addition that has my 20 x 26 shop and this year, launching my business. I have been extremely busy since inception and that is great. In my free time I take care of my three elementary school age kids and house and husband and dog. So, I am busy but love it.

Festool....I caught a few threads about it here.... I have to say, I love Festool and lots of the large cabinetry that I make in the shop would not be possible for me physically without my Festool circular saw system. It really changed the accuracy with which I build and has been a godsend. I also have the jigsaw which is great.

I have acquire a lot of tools over the last few years and use every single one of them often. My latest tool is the Akeda dovetail jig, which, once I get the cutters, I will break out and use.

I hope to lengthen my lead time on commissions for the summer while my kids are out of school. I also hope to make a few things for myself this summer. That's it for now.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Gail O'Rourke
06-22-2005, 9:12 PM
Mike that was me...nice to meet you again.

Alan Turner
06-22-2005, 9:24 PM
Gail
Thanks for joining. I for one am quite impressed with your skills, and so quickly acquired. Busy indeed. Welcome aboard, and do feel free to share with us. You will find that the folks here are consumately polite, a virtue to oft lacking these days.

Joe Mioux
06-22-2005, 9:48 PM
Hi Gail:

Welcome to SMC, as others have already stated, this is a great forum.
JOe

John Lucas
06-22-2005, 9:52 PM
Welcome Gail. You will like it here. Nice people; great woodworkers. And to all here, a word about Gail (lean close, I dont want her to hear), Gail is a whirlwind. In the time that it take me to get a draft of something out, she has done it...I mean built it. Her energies are only passed by her skills and knowledge. She is good. Anf from my perspective, she is very nice to have in the workshop occasionally.
Favorite picture (Gail on right; Joslyn on left) Photo from Woodcraft Magazine
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/index.164.jpg

John Hart
06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the Creek Gail...Everyone is friendly and eager to help, listen and learn here. I love it.

Jim Becker
06-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Gail...always room for one more in this community!

Ken Weaver
06-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Welcome aboard Gail! Impressive work on your web site, wish you the best in your business!

John Miliunas
06-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Great to have you at SMC, Gail! Hope to be seeing even more of your work, as I'm sure the stuff on your site is only but a teaser! Come often, stay long!:) :cool:

Don Slaughter
06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Gail,

Glad you found the site...it is a great one too. I haven't figures out how to post pics yet either but...will when I get the chance.
Welcome!! :D
Don
(Don2Laughs)

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Welcome Gail, checked out your site as well... very nice work indeed!

Corey

Dan Forman
06-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Gail---Glad to have you here. You are very accomplished at your craft, and your website is quite compelling as well. I think you will be very busy.

Dan

sascha gast
06-23-2005, 4:21 AM
hey Gail, good seeing you here as well, and also very cool to see John here. i've been a member here for about 1 year and it's a great site.
i've met many great people here and it makes me happy to see all of my friend on this friendly site

come on in and have fun

sascha

Brent Smith
06-23-2005, 7:42 AM
Welcome to the creek Gail. I was looking at your site and you have some really nice stuff there. I especially like the wine rack and the front doors you did. I look forward to learning from you and possibly passing somethings on to you.

Brent

Jack Wood
06-23-2005, 7:50 AM
Can I get an autographed picture?:D Ditto on all the above!

Bill Arnold
06-23-2005, 7:53 AM
Gail,

Welcome to the Creek! From what I see on your website, you can be a major contributor on SMC.

Regards,

Kelly C. Hanna
06-23-2005, 8:18 AM
Hi Gail...good to see you here!! I like your website...glad to see those fantastic doors make it to the front page. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Pete Harbin
06-23-2005, 8:59 AM
Welcome Gail! Good to have you on board.

Pete

Jeff Sudmeier
06-23-2005, 9:04 AM
Gail,

I have seen your posts at the other forum. We are lucky to have you as a member! I hope that you stay and enjoy your time here!

Aaron Koehl
06-23-2005, 9:30 AM
Gail, Welcome to SawmillCreek!

Ken Salisbury
06-23-2005, 9:42 AM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

I have attached a better avatar if ya wanna use it.

Adam Howard
06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Gail!!

You TOO?

Heloooooooo!

Ox.

Larry Norton
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey, Gail! I was thinking about you Tuesday. I wore a certain orange T shirt for my trip to S.C. to pick up my Lovely. It was fun to watch the express the expressions of everyone when they read "Stop Looking"

I can tell you all that Gail is an extraordinary person! Being a mother of 3 young children and a wife is hard enough, but she also runs her own business. She makes beautiful stuff! And SHE is beautiful! And John is beautiful! And I am beautiful! Actually John and I go to the same barber.

Gail O'Rourke
06-23-2005, 1:49 PM
Thanks Ken!

Again, thanks for the welcome, now let's get back to the shop.

Douglas Robinson
06-23-2005, 2:03 PM
I checked out your website. Nice work! One question, having lived in Massachusetts, and being a cyclist myself, do you ride in the Pan Mass Challange for the Jimmy Fund? It looks like you rode in some organized event.

Glad to have you aboard.

Doug

Jason Tuinstra
06-23-2005, 3:41 PM
Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately, but I've been out of town for a bit. Welcome aboard! You've found, IMHO, the best place in this neck of cyber space. A lot of great woodworkers are gathered here and you're no exception. Again, welcome!

Chris Padilla
06-23-2005, 5:25 PM
I'll follow up even later than Jason in welcoming you, Gail! I know Uncle Ken provide a pic of you but that one in your bio on your website was MUCH better! :D

I even got one of you, Larry! Use at your own peril, of course! :D

Jay Knoll
06-23-2005, 5:45 PM
Gail

Welcome to the Creek! I was happy to see the announcement on John Lucas' site that you had created your own website,

This is a great place, and I am certain you'll have a ball -- now you'll have to get that wireless pc with the flat screen in the shop so you can get some work done!

Jay

Dan Oliphant
06-23-2005, 6:05 PM
Gail,
Great looking web page you created. The chair is outstanding, really cought my eye.

DanO

Gail O'Rourke
06-23-2005, 6:52 PM
Hey, thanks Chris, I'll try that one....what do you guys use for photo software? That was a very cold windy day at the beach....

Dan, which chair? If it is the Windsor, I made it at a class at www.americansycamoreretreat.com last year, I sit in it every day when I work at my computer.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-23-2005, 6:57 PM
I use Corel Photopaint (cause it came with my last computer)...works great for me. Adobe has a free program for resizing and cropping, etc...I forget what they call it.

Chris Padilla
06-23-2005, 7:36 PM
I like to use Paint Shop Pro.

mike malone
06-23-2005, 7:50 PM
Hey Gail
Welcome to the best forum on the web...BTW excellent stuff!!
regards
mike

Larry Norton
06-23-2005, 7:59 PM
Hey, Chris! How do I get the picture next to my name at the top? I can't decide if I want that, a Blue Oval, or this one.

Vaughn McMillan
06-23-2005, 8:08 PM
Hey, thanks Chris, I'll try that one....what do you guys use for photo software? That was a very cold windy day at the beach....

Let me chime in with the other welcoming voices and say howdy, Gail. I doubt you'll find a more civil bunch of folks on the Internet. Looks like you've accomplished more in just a couple years of woodworking than some of us here have done in decades of playing with wood.

If you just need to resize your photos or convert from one format to another, Irfanview is free, easy to use, and robust. See www.irfanview.com (http://www.irfanview.com) for the particulars. (I don't work for the company, but I use the product almost daily in my own line of work.) BTW, I think the wind-blown avatar looks great.

- Vaughn

sascha gast
06-23-2005, 9:50 PM
Gail!!

You TOO?

Heloooooooo!

Ox.
what's going on, welcome here too Ox, good seeing you here

sascha

Michael Gabbay
06-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Larry - Do you wear the hat when you are doing shaker style? :D Then there is that blue thingy! :rolleyes:

Mike

Chris Padilla
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey, Chris! How do I get the picture next to my name at the top? I can't decide if I want that, a Blue Oval, or this one.

Larry,

Go to the very top of the forum and look just under the big Sawmill Creek logo. You should see a blue bar with "User CP" ; "FAQ" ; "Members List" , etc.

Click on "User CP" and then next, click on "Update Avatar" which will be in the Control Panel on the left of the screen. Now in the center of the screen, you'll see the Edit Avatar box...click the Custom Avatar box and then click browse to located the pic I made for you and simply load it.

However, first you must download the pic I made for you. Go back to my post and RIGHT-click on the post...a window should pop up...click "Save Target As" and then be sure to put it somewhere where you can find it--the desktop is easiest and where I usually put things temporarily. Now when you click browse above like I told you to, you should be able to easily find your picture.

Easy as pie! :)