PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a Band Saw

Kevin Wolfe
04-03-2014, 8:44 AM
So I have completed step 1 of going to a table sawless workshop (sold my saw). Now its time to buy a bandsaw. I have decided that given my budget I am going to try and get the best 14" I can. I think I am going to go used as I have basically $400 to spend. I was tempted because Grizzly is only about an hour or so from me, but for the saw plus gas and tax, I would be upwards of $600 unless I went with there most basic saw which is 3/4hp and single speed.

I have a couple of options around me right now and wanted to pass them by you all.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/4363908092.html
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tls/4383868740.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/4365868233.html

The first one is definitely an older saw. Not sure if that is better or worse. The Ridgid is only 10 minutes from me. The guy said he would go $250 but was pretty firm. I have ready mix reviews on these saws. The craftsman looks heavier than the one they make now and it says its 1.5hp. He has the miter gauge but no fence. Says he will do $400 but is firm. I am about an hour from Baltimore so I so want to drive that far without be prepared to pay.

Are any of these worth looking at for the asking prices or should I just be patient and sit tight?

Keith Hankins
04-03-2014, 8:57 AM
I've got a grizzly 17"HD, a 1934 delta 14" and a 16" 50's era walker-turner. The prices are too high on all of them. Sit tight and wait. The jewel will show up. Wait for an old piece of american iron (I know I have the griz got that 10 years ago before I learned about old iron). You should also go watch the bring out your dead forum (classifieds) on the old woodworking tool forum. Nice pieces show up there. That's my two cent's but that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. :)

Judson Green
04-03-2014, 9:25 AM
I'd get the Delta, talk him down to $350. Also, it looks like he has a fence for it and those fences are solid. Later I'd add a larger motor (probably a ¾ HP now) and riser kit, but not worry about that now. The light (often called a retirement light) could be sold off if you don't want it, to recoup some of your funds, kinda expensive little guys, look on the Bay.

The others are copy's of Delta's.

You could sit and wait, but the asking price, for the Delta anyway, isn't to bad. I'd feel better about at $350 though.

Congrats on taking the plunge!

Matthew Dunne
04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I live in the same area (DC actually), and am also looking to switch from table saw to band saw.

I just got a used Grizz G0555 (delta 14" clone with 1 HP motor) for $400. Just missed a newer version of the same saw for $375, also in Baltimore. In short, I think you'll find either a better deal or a better saw if you sit tight a few weeks and check Craig's List every day.

Have fun!

Kevin Wolfe
04-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Guess I will keep looking. Might even check around DC area. I used to live down there for about 6 years (Reston area). Still have some friends down there and could make a day of it. The new G0555 is $525 + tax and I just don't have that to spend right now. Especially if I want to afford some new blades and maybe a riser block.

Mark Andrew
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I had the RIDGID. They seem to have two types. Very good ones and ones that vibrate. Guess which one I had?

I'd be tempted to save a bit more money to be honest. $400 will get you a brand new saw, but you're looking for a better saw. If the "better saw" runs for say $1000 new, you'd struggle to find a used one in your price range. You may find a much older saw like the Deltas from the 30s-50s, but that's a different proposition to something say 0-20 years old.

Just my 2c. I sold the Ridgid and bought a Grizzly 513.

Kevin Wolfe
04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Just got a response form a guy I emailed a couple of days ago. Old Delta saw which he is asking $400 for. I asked him if would be willing to go any lower (still waiting the answer). Looks pretty heavy duty. I wonder if it would take a riser block.
Can't seem to get the pics he sent me to load but it look exactly like this one.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9189

Dick Mahany
04-03-2014, 12:03 PM
The Delta would take a riser block. Riser kits have a lot more than just blocks since they include a longer rear blade channel, longer guide post and front blade cover extensions. At some time Delta switched from a Hex shaped guide bar to a round guide bar, so that needs to be taken into consideration when looking for one. Those saws are solid. The motor may only be 3/4HP and I consider 1HP to be minimum for resawing from experience with mine. Also, the bearings and tires might need to be replaced and would run ~$80 if needed. Price seems a tad high given these considerations, but not out of the realm.

eugene thomas
04-03-2014, 12:51 PM
If ya have time to post them cl saws on here and think about probably not that great a price. Good deals go quick on cl.

Judson Green
04-03-2014, 2:02 PM
Just got a response form a guy I emailed a couple of days ago. Old Delta saw which he is asking $400 for. I asked him if would be willing to go any lower (still waiting the answer). Looks pretty heavy duty. I wonder if it would take a riser block.
Can't seem to get the pics he sent me to load but it look exactly like this one.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9189

This one with the cast iron base is cool and gonna be heavy, but considering the price isn't that different from the first one at the top of the thread and that one I would think would include the light (those lights can go for $50+) and a fence (price out a band saw fence & the Delta one is much better, IMO); I'd go for the one at the top of the thread. Also the guy mentioned it was rebuilt and it looks like it was taken care of.

Just my 2¢

Gus Dundon
04-03-2014, 3:33 PM
Among those three saws, choose the delta. But if you can wait a little bit more, you can find better than that.

Doug Ladendorf
04-03-2014, 7:16 PM
The Delta is a good saw. Taken care of it will outlast you. Not sure that could be said about the other two. Price is not that far off. If you can get it for $350 or better I think you are doing all right.

Doug

Oh, and if it were me I would keep the light. It's handy task lighting and will maintain resale value.

Carroll Courtney
04-03-2014, 9:58 PM
Delta would have the better resale value in 30yrs,ridgid bs won't even be a memory by then.Most of the new BS out there is just that NEW nothing else.Keep in mind why the big box stores sell them,cause their cheap.You know the old saying "buy quality once and cry once,buy cheap and cry often".What ever you buy,a good tune-up will go along ways on any BS,so good luck and post pics of what you chose----

Jim Matthews
04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I would have a good look at the condition and effectiveness of the guides included.

They're not the most important part of a saw (I would say the blade is most important)
but they can be a nuisance if they're damaged, bent or misaligned.

$400 for an ancient Delta is steep, given that motors like these
are likely contaminated by dust over the years.

My guess is that the seller thinks it's some kind of collector's item.

Beware - replacement motors are hideously expensive.

Thomas Hotchkin
04-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Kevin
As other have said go with the Delta. That model has been around for years lot of parts out there just check to see if it is single phase. And $400 is not bad if its 1 or 1 1/2 HP if more even better. Tom

Randy Bonella
04-04-2014, 1:43 AM
I have both a Rockwell 1960's version home made stand, and a Delta similar vintage but with open stand, almost identical in every other way. I would love to have that Art Deco base, very cool looking :) First saw took me 6 months or so of looking and the second saw about 1 year. The First Saw I acquired was the Rockwell and the 2nd saw the delta. Now I grant you that I'm on the other coast but pricing seems to be similar. Our local Craigslist currently has my same Rockwell and asking $500, On average I see them listed for about $300 - $375 which I think is a very fair price depending on the condition of the overall saw and the wear items: tires, throat plates, guide bushings.... BTW I'd keep the light on the Delta, yes you can get a lot for them but they sure do help seeing what you are doing :)

This is what I paid and what I put into each saw to make them functional: ( I don't count the cost of blades as those for me are considered disposables)

My link to the Rockwell on this forum:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162040-Refurbished-1967-Rockwell-14-quot-Bandsaw&highlight=

Rockwell: 1967 ish Paid $145 Total with repairs $320
$50 New tires
$45 New upper wheel
$20 New switch, power cable
$30 New Link belt
$10 Misc.
$20 Mobile base

1/2 hp motor
Fence

Delta: 1943 ish Paid $100 Total with repairs $257
$50 New tires
$30 New Bearings on top wheel
$30 New Link Belt
$15 replaced front upper blade guard
$2 New plug
$10 Misc.
$20 Mobile Base

1/4hp motor
No Fence

If you want / need the saw right away I'd look at the Delta, as previously stated it will be around a long time. Or like what I did just keep your eyes open and be prepared to jump fast. One way that I was able to snag the 2nd saw at that price was the following: Do your search on Craigslist at the top level, not in tools. Sometimes these saws show up under business or antiques. Search for both "Band Saw" and "Bandsaw" you will get different results. I'd check a couple times per week. Thursday nights seem pretty good as most folks try to get things listed for the weekend.

Good luck!
Randy...

Andrew Howe
04-04-2014, 7:54 AM
I would buy new and get the grizzly. I took rehabbed and old delta homecraft 10 in saw and felt in the end I still have and inferior machine and spent too much money fixing it.

Dick Mahany
04-04-2014, 8:44 AM
I took rehabbed and old delta homecraft 10 in saw and felt in the end I still have and inferior machine and spent too much money fixing it.

I agree that the 10" homecraft line may be lacking, but those 14" cast iron saws built in the US until ~2001 or so, are the standard from which all other 14" clones were copied from. Totally in a different league. I have 2 Delta US built 14" enclosed cabinet bandsaws with 1HP motors and risers and they are rock solid. I have even been able to properly tension a 3/4" carbide toothed blade and resaw hardwoods with great results.

Kevin Wolfe
04-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Found this one. It's about 1.5hrs from me but the seller says he will do $130. It's an AMT which I have read was a Delta clone a few years back. He says it runs well.
http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/4405414606.html

Myk Rian
04-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I would have a good look at the condition and effectiveness of the guides included.

They're not the most important part of a saw (I would say the blade is most important)
but they can be a nuisance if they're damaged, bent or misaligned.

$400 for an ancient Delta is steep, given that motors like these
are likely contaminated by dust over the years.

My guess is that the seller thinks it's some kind of collector's item.

Beware - replacement motors are hideously expensive.
BS. That saw with a cast iron base IS a collectors item, and a darned fine saw. I wouldn't hessitate 1 minute to buy one for $400.

Judson Green
04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Found this one. It's about 1.5hrs from me but the seller says he will do $130. It's an AMT which I have read was a Delta clone a few years back. He says it runs well.

I'd pass. Dude has a poster of Keystone Light up on his garage wall, I'm sure his idea of "good shape" would not match mine. He can't even be bothered to take a photo of the front.

Get a Delta/Rockwell. The two you've got on this thread would be fine and the prices aren't bad assuming there's wiggle room.

Dave Cullen
04-04-2014, 11:26 AM

I have one of those that I bought brand new 30 years ago and still use it. It's an "ok" saw, but definitely not a Delta.

Kevin Wolfe
04-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd pass. Dude has a poster of Keystone Light up on his garage wall, I'm sure his idea of "good shape" would not match mine. He can't even be bothered to take a photo of the front.

Get a Delta/Rockwell. The two you've got on this thread would be fine and the prices aren't bad assuming there's wiggle room.

HA! Almost like taking advice from someone with a bull tongue avatar :D

I'm going to call the old delta Rockwell guy this afternoon to see if I can't him down to $350 or lower. Worse come to worse, I can just wait. No real big deal.

Jim Matthews
04-05-2014, 8:38 AM
BS. That saw with a cast iron base IS a collectors item, and a darned fine saw. I wouldn't hessitate 1 minute to buy one for $400.

There's daily drives and "Daddy Toys" that get polished with a diaper on weekends.
For a first saw - it's a step backward from utility and into "What piece of unobtanium broke today?"

It's folly to instruct newbies to take on antiques, if what they want is a tool to use.

Myk Rian
04-05-2014, 10:49 AM
The saw linked to is complete, and ready to go.

Thomas Canfield
04-05-2014, 8:28 PM
Itura told me recently that the Delta riser kits are no longer available so you might check that out. I have an old Rockwell Delta without riser, but do not have plans to add. A larger motor would be nice.

Kevin Wolfe
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
So I am heading to pick up a bandsaw tomorrow. Getting it from a fellow creeker here. I will need to lay it down because I'll be moving it in a minivan. I plan on removing the table before I transport it so I don't risk cracking the trunion mounts. I plan on laying it on it's back/spine. Any thoughts or other things I should know?

Randy Bonella
04-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Thats exactly how I transported mine. Took off the table and laid it down on its back. Tied it into the pickup bed so that it couldn't rotate. Pretty much it. Congrats on the new old saw! Which one did you decide on getting?

Randy...

Judson Green
04-05-2014, 11:49 PM
congratulations!

Jim Matthews
04-06-2014, 7:47 AM
Take off the table, first.

The trunions supporting the table may not
be strong enough to hold the rest of the saw
while lifting.

DAMHIKT

Myk Rian
04-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Any thoughts or other things I should know?
If the wheel covers are hinged, take some duct tape with you.

John Sanford
04-06-2014, 7:07 PM
If the wheel covers are hinged, take some duct tape with you.
Definitely. FWIW, rumour has it that if your bandsaw happens to fall over while moving, and gets "stopped" by the upper door swinging open, after you get to your destination and get things unloaded an upright, you can take the upper door off and beat it back into useable shape.

At least that's the rumour, but I wouldn't know anything about that myself.

Jim Matthews
04-06-2014, 7:43 PM
... you can take the upper door off and beat it back into useable shape.
At least that's the rumour, but I wouldn't know anything about that myself.

The funniest people post here.
I wouldn't have the faintest idea what you're on about...

nothing I've ever stuffed into the minivan ever came out in more pieces than when it was loaded.

There was that free workbench that just fit into my Taurus wagon when the front windshield popped out.

Kevin Wolfe
04-06-2014, 8:06 PM
Sorry for the delay folks. As soon as I got home my wife told me that the kids were ready to go see her dad so I didn't have time to reassemble. I got a Powermatic Model PWBS-14CS this morning from a fellow creeker here Chris Dubs. Really nice guy over Philadelphia way. It was well worth the drive. As you can see it has the riser kit, fence, light, dust blower thingy, mobile base and a lenox carbide tip resaw blade that cuts like butter. With just a amateur set up, I was able to rip some 2x10s and the 6 inch thick piece of poplar in the pic. Now issue at all cutting this log in half.

On another note, the saw is much quitter than a table saw, and the dust (haven't hooked a shop vac to it yet) seems to get thrown more towards the floor than blown all over the place. Oh, and the most important point, I feel much more comfortable using it despite it being my first time (read "feels safer to use").

That's it for now. Can't wait to really get it tuned and put it to work. Sorry for the dark picture. If I spun the saw around, you wouldsee the rest of the basement mess.

Judson Green
04-06-2014, 9:13 PM
that's a beauty!

Dick Mahany
04-06-2014, 9:43 PM
Kevin, Congrats big time. Excellent saw and the Lennox Carbide tipped Trimaster has a VERY good reputation. (I am currently awaiting my first one with much anticipation). Now put that baby to use, enjoy and smile every time you use it :).

Matthew Hills
04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Good fit for your needs.
Buying a well set-up used tool is often one of the best options, if you can find it.
That blade is very well-regarded, but people recommend against it for cutting wet wood or curves.
Changing blades is one of the potential bummers of bandsaws.

Matt