PDA

View Full Version : an explanation of VFD?

Tai Fu
04-03-2014, 12:27 AM
I got a VFD to run a 3 phase motor... but I am trying to figure out how to wire it for remote operation. The manual is about 200 pages long and does not really explain how it's done. I see something about FWD/REV in the control section but I can't figure out how to wire a switch to that. Namely what do I wire the other end of the switch to? I am using a Delta VFD-B

Mike Heidrick
04-03-2014, 1:41 AM
Typically a VFD will have quite a few intelligent input pins/terminals. You would wire one of those to your switch and then program that input to perform a function like FWD or REV or Stop or probably a host of different potential tasks.

200 pages is the short quick reference manual for a VFD typically.

Benjamin Miller
04-03-2014, 1:56 AM
All the VFDs I have use a common terminal. You wire a switch between the common and whatever function you want to use, like FW, REV, etc. There are probably several terminals marked com, and you can use any of them.

You'll probably need to program the VFD to accept an external start/stop signal before the controls will work. This varies from VFD to VFD, and will be found in your manual. I found the user interface on mine confusing, and I'm a computer engineer! Keep with it...

Tai Fu
04-03-2014, 2:53 AM
That's what I did! But when I shorted FWD and DCM nothing happens. Yet when I short JOG and DCM the VFD starts in JOG mode.... I looked through the manual and cant seem to find the right settings.

Chris Parks
04-03-2014, 3:00 AM
What VFD is it, brand & model? The changes will be in the book but it can be hard to find it amongst the other stuff. I reckon VFD's are the greatest invention as they are so clever but it takes years of experience to come to grips with them.

Tai Fu
04-03-2014, 3:13 AM
My VFD is Delta VFD-B 007 (1hp model, 1/3 phase input)

Tai Fu
04-03-2014, 3:49 AM
Never mind... I found the setting and it worked. It's under "source of first operation command" and you can make it keypad only, external control with or without the keypad start/run command disabled, RS blah blah jack, etc.

It was very well hidden for sure.

Is there any suggested setting for brake time, etc.? I had it set at 100% braking and brake time on stop at 1.5 seconds. The motor stops almost immediately when the stop command is issued. I am glad I put the original motor back on because it's a lot smoother than the other 110v motor I had. The vibration at slower speed is vastly reduced although at high (4000 RPM or more) speeds it still vibrates quite a bit...

Chris Parks
04-03-2014, 4:47 AM
You are using a single phase 110 volt motor on three phase output from the VFD?

Tai Fu
04-03-2014, 4:51 AM
No, I am using the original motor on the drill press which is a 3 phase motor. I briefly used a 110v motor off of another drill press on this one but I didn't really like that motor because it vibrated badly as it spins.