PDA

View Full Version : Pen kits and Fishing Lures

Brian Kent
04-02-2014, 9:51 PM
I guess Pen Kits are like Fishing Lures. If you aren't ready to lose some, you better get another hobby.

On the other hand, maybe I could take apart the messed up pens, add a treble hook, and call it a Bass Lure!

Roger Chandler
04-03-2014, 3:10 AM
Yep.........you do mess up one occasionally. I have probably lost 5 pens out of the 55 or so I have made to date. I have some where the bottom of the barrel is good, but the twist mechanism messed up..........some with other problems. One thing I did Brian, was to order a few extra tubes and twist mechanisms........even then with the ability to make repairs, I have still lost two with no hope of recovery. These are slim lines I am talking about here.

Brian Kent
04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Where do you get the twist mechanisms, Roger?

I messed up one of those, one turned on the wrong bushings (1st 2 made) and one where I was trying to hold together cactus wood that was like chips and powder. I used to count the cost literally when casting and losing fishing lures ($18 gone so far…) but then realized if I want to have fun and catch bass, I better just grab the next lure, tie it on and cast. :D

Peter Fabricius
04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Brian,
You should never have to loose the kit because the blank ( wood or anything else) can be turned off the brass tube and you can reuse the tube.
Good luck.
Peter F.

Dan Masshardt
04-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Where do you get the twist mechanisms, Roger? I messed up one of those, one turned on the wrong bushings (1st 2 made) and one where I was trying to hold together cactus wood that was like chips and powder. I used to count the cost literally when casting and losing fishing lures ($18 gone so far...) but then realized if I want to have fun and catch bass, I better just grab the next lure, tie it on and cast. :D

Most suppliers that you would have bought the kits from will have spare tubes and transmissions

I'd recommend throwing another style in the mix if you are only doing slims Cigar is a good one - lots of meat left on the pen and some design flexibility at a reasonable price for the basic versions