PDA

View Full Version : Beginner woodshop - recommendations for first tools?

dawn villaescusa
04-02-2014, 7:57 PM
I'm retired and have recently discovered woodworking -- after building a bookcase, some shelves (see project forum for some pix) and a side table I can say that I'm really enjoying myself! I have a few electric handtools and several non-electric ones (I grew up in the house of a carpenter and have always loved tools). My workspace is about a quarter of our garage, so about 10x12 or so. My worktable is one of those folding Workmates, and I also have a workbench for tools and some additional work surface (sorry for the poor quality phone pix).

I figure that I'll probably be doing shelves, tables, and boxes for awhile, along with some cat toys. I doubt I'll be trying to rip 4x8 sheets of plywood at home or anything like that. I have really enjoyed using reclaimed wood for my projects to date (all 4 weeks of experience under my belt :o). I aspire to someday build a worktable/bench!

Electric tools include:
7 1/4" Skilsaw
1/3hp Skil jigsaw
Mikita 9.6 cordless drill
3/8 Skil corded drill
4" sander
Dremel with Router and Drill Press attachments
(I used the router for dados and rabbets, slow going but it works. Used the "drill press" for peg-holes for the adjustable shelves on my bookcase.)

My wish list right now is for a marking gauge, wood vise (or two), new set of chisels, and maybe a lathe (ok, that one will probably wait a bit).

I'd like to ask the community what your recommendations are for the next tools, accessories or other things that I should purchase or put on my wish list (other than lighting and ventilation - have been reading other threads for that info)? Thank you!

Pat Barry
04-02-2014, 8:10 PM
I will tell you to pick a project then identify if any of the work involved in that project requires a tool you don't have. The answer to that will tell you what tool you need. As far as ripping a 4x8 sheet of plywood, if you buy it from HD for example, have them rip it / cross-cut it to rough size for you. Otherwise, laying it on a couple of 2x4's on your garage floor and that skilsaw will make short work of the cutting - not precision cutting though. I got by for quite a while using a straight piece of plywood cutoff as a guide for my circular saw to make long straight cuts. Have fun.

dawn villaescusa
04-02-2014, 8:49 PM
Thanks! My next project is more shelves (I have zillions of books). I will say that cutting the shelf-boards to be exactly the same was challenging - I was thinking a chop saw might need to be the next power tool? Or do I really need a table saw for that? Then there's the whole router issue...

Rich Tesoroni
04-02-2014, 9:03 PM
Not sure your area, but poke around for an older Craftsman table saw. Might be able to get pretty cheap.

As far as new tools, don't buy junk. Won't like and they don't hold any value. Something like the used table saw could probably move along for what you paid.

If you search here you'll find a lot of posts of tools people like, as well as the ones most don't.

Rich

Pat Barry
04-02-2014, 9:06 PM
Getting shelves cut to matching lengths can be done pretty well with a circular saw but not freehand. Measure the offset from the blade to the edge of the saw base plate and then clamp a straightedge to your shelf at the offset distance and run the baseplate of the saw right along the straightedge. For example, for an 8 inch wide shelf, clamp about a 12 to 16 inch piece of plywood to the shelf with the edge overhanging the shelf so that it supports the edge of your saw base plate and helps to guide you into to cut. The nice thing about a piece of plywood is that you can use the factory cut edge which is pretty straight and you can clamp it quite ways to the side of your saw so the clamps don't interfere. Of course, if you want to spend money then a sliding miter saw is nice (but pricey). My 10" miter saw (not a slider) will only cut a 5 3/4" wide shelf so the slider gets you much more capacity. The beauty of the miter saw is that you can re-cut and just shave a tiny bit off to get the accuracy you want.

dawn villaescusa
04-02-2014, 9:19 PM
Not sure your area, but poke around for an older Craftsman table saw. Might be able to get pretty cheap.
Rich

I was given an old PowrKraft table saw - motor and bushing seem to be in good shape, but no fence or miter and the cord was chewed up. I don't think I have what it takes to restore this guy. Any Oregon members want a project?

dawn villaescusa
04-02-2014, 9:22 PM
Getting shelves cut to matching lengths can be done pretty well with a circular saw but not freehand. Measure the offset from the blade to the edge of the saw base plate and then clamp a straightedge to your shelf at the offset distance and run the baseplate of the saw right along the straightedge. For example, for an 8 inch wide shelf, clamp about a 12 to 16 inch piece of plywood to the shelf with the edge overhanging the shelf so that it supports the edge of your saw base plate and helps to guide you into to cut. The nice thing about a piece of plywood is that you can use the factory cut edge which is pretty straight and you can clamp it quite ways to the side of your saw so the clamps don't interfere. Of course, if you want to spend money then a sliding miter saw is nice (but pricey). My 10" miter saw (not a slider) will only cut a 5 3/4" wide shelf so the slider gets you much more capacity. The beauty of the miter saw is that you can re-cut and just shave a tiny bit off to get the accuracy you want.

I rigged up a jig to get my 29" lengths and it worked pretty well. I think I was hampered more by my workbench size/shape and lack of good clamps than anything else. Thanks for the tips on the miter saw - I have alot to learn!

Myk Rian
04-02-2014, 9:40 PM
I think you'll get the most use out of a good SCMS (sliding compound miter saw). Others here can recommend a good brand. I don't have one.

John TenEyck
04-02-2014, 9:51 PM
The idea to get a used Craftsman belt drive, cast iron tablesaw is a good one. You can buy them in my area for $150 nearly every day. Cheaper than a miter saw and far more versatile. I built a lot of pretty nice stuff when I first started out with a Sears TS, a router and a few bits, and some hand tools. If you put it on a mobile base you'll have room for it in your small space. Put a shop built router table in place of one of the extensions and you'll have a lot of capability in a small footprint.

John

Greg Peterson
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Table saw will excel at rip cuts of virtually any length. When it comes to cross cuts, width of stock and/or length of stock being cross cut can present challenges.

It did not take me long to realize that something needed to be done with all the dust (not chips or what is generally considered saw dust by the lay person).

If you plan on adding any more power tools (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer...) you might want to consider DC.

My DC consists of a Harbor Freight DC unit with a Wynn Environmental cartridge filter, a Jet AFS-1000B air scrubber, a Ridgid shop vac with a hepa filter and Dust Deputy, and so I know the air is safe to breathe, I have a Dylos particle counter.

My DC systems aren't perfect, but they go a long way towards making the hobby safe and pleasurable.

Paul Symchych
04-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Agree with Myk.
Don't forget that a table saw eats up a lot of floor space.

dawn villaescusa
04-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm keeping an eye on Craig's List. Harbor Freight has a compound miter saw #98199 with good reviews (one of the exceptions listed on a beware of harbor freight webpage). In the meantime, I need to get a better prybar and finish taking the fence apart so I can make the rest of the shelves for our bedroom (1 down, 3 to go).

Gary Petit
04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I agree with a lot of peoples comments above. Figure out what projects you are planning on doing, and see what tools you might need if you don't have them already. I recommend staying away from harbor freight compound miter saws. I got mine and returned it right away. Pulled it out of the box and had rust all over the saw. Although, craigslist is a great place for used tools. Always good deals. Just picked up a great 15 inch grizzly planer today from a guy. Enjoy your journey in woodworking, you will love it!!

John Sanford
04-03-2014, 1:23 AM
Clamps. For the "Quick-Grip" type (pistol grip one handed bar clamps), keep an eye out for when the big box stores have 4 packs of mini Quik-Grips (?) (by Irwin) on sale for about $20. Depending on the deal, they can all be 6", or they can be 2 6" and 2 12". Those are the minis. For the larger ones, I much prefer the Jorgensen's over the Irwin's, they are more comfortable to use. Stay away from the cheap variants of this type of clamp.

In addition to clamps, a decent low angle block plane, and a decent jack plane. The two planes will allow you to quickly shave just a hair off a board in order to fit, all without making the fine dust that sanding will cause. Oh, and if you don't have one, a good 12" combination square. It's a very versatile beast.

jim hedgpeth
04-03-2014, 4:50 AM
My biggest recommendation would be a couple saw guides for that Skill saw.
I have a short one and a long one, mainly for breaking down sheet goods, but if I didn't have a table saw they would get a lot more use. Can be used as a guide for most any cut if you want.
I dont want to infringe on any copyright stuff so here's a link....something like this..................http://www.wwgoa.com/shop-made-circular-saw-guide-cheap-easy-awesome/

A miter saw would be a good addition for you from what you have said.
I would pony-up for a middle of the pack "bang for the buck" version from a reputable company.
I dont have one, so I will leave recommendations to those who do.
I doubt I would try the HF one. You may find it OK, but my luck with "cheap" tools has always been pure frustration, and an extended vocabulary.......... on the dirty side. Then down the road I finally get a "better" tool, and WOW this thing works great.
On second thought, maybe thats why I'm happy with some mid grade stuff instead of "Top of the line".
Never looked at it that way till now.

A couple of speed squares are always handy, and relatively cheap..http://www.amazon.com/Swanson-SO101-7-inch-Speed-Square/dp/B00002255O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396512596&sr=8-1&keywords=speed+square
Being a triangle they can't be knocked out of square if you drop them. Come in several sizes, I probable have 6-8 of them and use them a lot. They stand up on their own if you need both hands, bang the foot against the side of a board and mark at 90* or 45* in a flash, use to guide a circle saw for 90*cross cuts, and a whole world of more complicated stuff.

Things you mention wanting............
Marking gauge............. for small stuff, I have and love this because I can set 2 "depths" as long as they are both less than ~1.5-2". http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=64313&cat=1,42936
Veritas also has very nice full size wheel marking gauges, which I have also.

Chisels are one of those things where opinions can be different, and sometimes very ......... heated. Some prefer old ones restored to useable, others Japanese style, or new classic style, or........... you get the idea.
I have the 8 pc. set of these http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-791-Sweetheart-Series-Socket/dp/B004TK0IG8
and have nothing but good to say for them. Not the cheapest, or most expensive, but they hold an edge well for me and do everything I have asked of them. 4pc set ~$100 delivered 8pc ~$160 to me the 8pc is a better buy so I went that way. I would rather have them, than need and not have.

Hope that's helpful, and keep enjoying your woodworking projects no mater what tools you do or dont add down the road.

Jim

Brian W Smith
04-03-2014, 5:14 AM
No harm in looking.Not every pce of equipment "has" to be had,and that can go for some shop practices as well.Try to get a real understanding of where you want your shop's "general heading".There needs to be compelling reasons for investing....and this isn't soley about $$,but can be time/space.....into your purchases.Be extremely patient.Get a running "list" of sorts on the equipment you might need,then watch for deals.I feel this usually works better first starting out.

Two big things to start looking at(but not necessarily,"for")....google images for vertical panel saws.And try to wrap your brain around things vertical vs more traditional horizontal.The other is dust collection.....more properly stated dust management.If you can cut/machine outdoors....which way does the wind blow is the primary question.But educate yourself on cyclones and other,more portable(baggers)sytems.The logic here is to spend as least amt of time as possible "cleaning up".

Along with that last part,you also want to spend the least amt of time organizing......so,look for systems that keep your tools handy,mobile,yet is self cleaning.Automotive style toolbxs are an example of this.....but can be easily be adapted,in wood.The more vertical you go the better.Horizontal surfaces are the bane of any workshop space because of clutter.

John Piwaron
04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I see recommendations for all sorts of things including dust collection. Back when I was a beginner, that would have seemed overwhelming.

So - what tools should you have? That's entirely dependent on what you want to build. I started with a Craftsman 10" table saw. The model with the webbed cast iron extension wings. A 3/8" drill. A 1/4" router. A shop vac. And a cheap set of Craftsman chisels. That's about it. I also subscribed to "Woodsmith" magazine. I found it a great help to learn. They take the reader through projects step by step. Nothing's overlooked.

Over time I added tools. A 6" jointer, a thickness planer (the small "lunchbox" kind), a drill press, etc. And I kept reading and learning. And buying tools. And upgrading my tools. It's taken me 30 years to get where I am now. But all of that was project driven. Each project took more and more effort, more thought and sometimes a tool I didn't have. That's how it goes. Start small and grow. Sometimes I'll read about someone retiring and instantly outfitting a shop with everything. That's cool, but I wonder why. How does that person know what they need to build what they like? The tools you'd need if you like carving are a lot different from the ones someone would use to turn bowls & urns. Or build bookcases.

That's how it goes. Start small with a basic kit, read magazines & forums like this one, build stuff and learn not only how to build it but what tools would work best for both the project and how you like to work. I've heard of people favoring the bandsaw over a tablesaw. Or even a tracksaw over a large stationary saw. A tracksaw is one like what Festool sells. A portable circular saw that can be used with a long guide.

Greg Hines, MD
04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I would recommend a good combination router, and some decent bits. You can build jigs for cutting off your boards with the skil saw, or jig saw, but forming edges and dados/grooves is much easier with a decent router. I would suggest one of the sets with a fixed and plunge base and one motor.

Doc

Jerry Olexa
04-03-2014, 2:25 PM
Table saw would be my first choice

dawn villaescusa
04-03-2014, 2:33 PM
If you plan on adding any more power tools (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer...) you might want to consider DC. [Greg Peterson]

Clamps. For the "Quick-Grip" type (pistol grip one handed bar clamps), keep an eye out for when the big box stores have 4 packs of mini Quik-Grips (?) (by Irwin) on sale for about $20. Depending on the deal, they can all be 6", or they can be 2 6" and 2 12". Those are the minis. For the larger ones, I much prefer the Jorgensen's over the Irwin's, they are more comfortable to use. Stay away from the cheap variants of this type of clamp. In addition to clamps, a decent low angle block plane, and a decent jack plane... Oh, and if you don't have one, a good 12" combination square. It's a very versatile beast. [John Sanford]

My biggest recommendation would be a couple saw guides for that Skill saw... A couple of speed squares are always handy, and relatively cheap... [jim hedgpeth]

... Get a running "list" of sorts on the equipment you might need,then watch for deals... Two big things to start looking at(but not necessarily,"for")....google images for vertical panel saws. And try to wrap your brain around things vertical vs more traditional horizontal. The other is dust collection.....more properly stated dust management... The logic here is to spend as least amt of time as possible "cleaning up". Along with that last part,you also want to spend the least amt of time organizing......so,look for systems that keep your tools handy,mobile,yet is self cleaning... Horizontal surfaces are the bane of any workshop space because of clutter. [Brian W Smith]

Thanks for all of the great tips and suggestions. I have a small low block plane that has come in handy, and a whole slew of squares (I collect all types of measuring devices so I just tapped into my collection for a couple of carpenter squares, combination squares, and even a Squangle I used when making my little table). Have started a "running list" of things I might need - some items tagged as "later" or "maybe". Keeping it on my android phone for quick reference.

As for organizing, I've done some adapting of shelving for the few electric tools I have, bought some more peg board and am looking at various vertical toolbox options (have two antique toolboxes, but neither are the vertical type with drawers).

My current cleaning system is pretty basic: for "chips" an old Shop-vac that I'm looking to replace augmented by a wisk broom, and for dust collection, a heavy-duty fan with a furnace filter attached to it and dust masks. Oh, and a window. So have been reading Bill Pentz' webpages on DC as I obviously need to do something if I'm going to be adding more saws and stuff.

I'm making notes on the suggestions for clamps, planes, gauges, etc. to add to my list! Brian, I had never heard of a "vertical panel saw" - am googling it now to find out more - any suggested reading?

Thanks again.

dawn

steven taggart
04-03-2014, 10:01 PM
All my stuff is reclaimed wood, and the little 12 1/2" "lunch box planer" is the most used tool in my shop. They run a couple hundred bucks, and turn garbage wood into beautiful material. I couldn't imagine getting the quality and volume of work done with out it. Find one with cheap blades, then run a old weathered board through it and see what is hiding behind the rough exterior. That surprise is what keeps me in the shop. And free salvaged material leaves me more money for tools.

Tony Parent
04-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I mentioned this a bit in the thread you have on your latest book case, but I'll move it here as this is the proper thread for it.

I know this is the power tools area, but given the amount of space you have available, I would think hybrid hand/power tool setup. You have a start on that already. Hand tools create much less dust (I only have a shop vac and a air filter for when I'm working on the lathe or sanding.) and take up a lot less space. They can be slower for some things, but surprisingly faster for others. You learn more about working with the wood instead of forcing it. (You'll find that circular saw is much more accurate after you've cut a few boards with a hand saw correctly.)

There is a lot of info on the web about hand tools. Look up " The Anarchist's Tool Chest" by Christopher Schwarz (lostartpress.com). Paul Sellers also has a lot of good free videos on you-tube.

One thing you may want to look into is whether or not there are any "night coarses around. We have a "class" at the local high school where you can use the shop equipment, and have access to an instructor There is no fixed things you have to build, and people bring in their own ideas. The instructor is really only there to help you out if needed and keep you safe. It's usually a mix of beginners and experienced people who want the shop time. This also gives you exposure to like minded people and more tools then you would by yourself.. Learning to use a tool correctly will go a long way in making things safer and more enjoyable.

dawn villaescusa
04-03-2014, 11:00 PM
All my stuff is reclaimed wood, and the little 12 1/2" "lunch box planer" is the most used tool in my shop. They run a couple hundred bucks, and turn garbage wood into beautiful material. I couldn't imagine getting the quality and volume of work done with out it. Find one with cheap blades, then run a old weathered board through it and see what is hiding behind the rough exterior. That surprise is what keeps me in the shop. And free salvaged material leaves me more money for tools.

Thanks Steven, I love working with reclaimed wood! I'm really leaning toward hand (non-electric) planers - volume isn't an issue for me at this point, and I love the feeling of what little bit of work I did with the small planer I have. I think it's a "low box" type, has no markings so I have no idea where it originated. I've been reading on the neanderthal portion of the forums for more about planers :o)

Jak Kelly
04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
There is going to be a long list of items and I think everyone probably has some tools that they use often and forget how often. The Irwin clamps are a great addition to any collection, these things can make you feel like you finally have 4 arms and hands. One of my other favorites is my collection of aluminum rulers/straight edge; 24", 36", 48", and 72" I find myself reaching for those all the time. Next item would be saw-horses, a good set, I prefer the metal ones that you can add a 2" X to the top of, keep some 8' 2" X 6" along with some plywood or OSB and you can assemble a work table in minutes, then be capable of taking it all back apart for storage! I have collected a lot of tools over the years, still have my first set of Craftsman hand tools that I got for Christmas when I was 16. Once you start to acquire some of these things then just make sure that you educate yourself to some degree on use and care. Chisels and hand planes are one area that most people do not fully understand how useful and beneficial they are, especially when they are properly tuned.

Greg Hines, MD
04-04-2014, 10:36 AM
One thing you should consider about your "old Shop Vac" is replacing the filter with a CleanStream or other HEPA filter. It will remove almost all dust down to 1micron, and are not terribly expensive. As a side effect, they are cloth, not paper, so you can wash them clean periodically. Likewise, if you were to do that, you can create an effective dust collector by adding a chip separator, either a Dust Deputy or (as I have) a collector top for a 5gal bucket that does a pretty good job of dealing with the heavier sawdust, so that it never reaches your filter in the first place. Check my photos (I think) for pictures of my dust cart.

Doc

dawn villaescusa
04-04-2014, 12:07 PM
There is going to be a long list of items and I think everyone probably has some tools that they use often and forget how often. The Irwin clamps are a great addition to any collection, these things can make you feel like you finally have 4 arms and hands. One of my other favorites is my collection of aluminum rulers/straight edge; 24", 36", 48", and 72" I find myself reaching for those all the time. Next item would be saw-horses, a good set, I prefer the metal ones that you can add a 2" X to the top of, keep some 8' 2" X 6" along with some plywood or OSB and you can assemble a work table in minutes, then be capable of taking it all back apart for storage! I have collected a lot of tools over the years, still have my first set of Craftsman hand tools that I got for Christmas when I was 16. Once you start to acquire some of these things then just make sure that you educate yourself to some degree on use and care. Chisels and hand planes are one area that most people do not fully understand how useful and beneficial they are, especially when they are properly tuned.

Can't believe I didn't even think of sawhorses! I'll look for some that use a 2x4 or 6 and can fold away. And I never thought of it but we have a big piece of OSB that's kept in the garage in case the wind takes out a window or two (we live on the Oregon coast) - not sure how manageable it will be but I'll dig it out and see. I've gone to a couple of places and picked up free scrap wood so I'll have a few 2x4's, etc. Growing up, the tools all went to the boys (my two brothers) so anything I've collected over the years has been garage/estate sales. Funny how I've collected handtools/toolboxes without really using them until now... hmmm...

Greg Hines, MD
04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I have built sawhorses from scratch, used those metal brackets, and used the molded plastic ones. Frankly, I like the plastic ones. They are relatively inexpensive (Sears discounts them all the time) and when used in pairs, will hold up hundreds of pounds of weight. I have three sets, and move them around my driveway all the time.

Doc

Jak Kelly
04-04-2014, 2:22 PM
Can't believe I didn't even think of sawhorses! I'll look for some that use a 2x4 or 6 and can fold away. And I never thought of it but we have a big piece of OSB that's kept in the garage in case the wind takes out a window or two (we live on the Oregon coast) - not sure how manageable it will be but I'll dig it out and see. I've gone to a couple of places and picked up free scrap wood so I'll have a few 2x4's, etc. Growing up, the tools all went to the boys (my two brothers) so anything I've collected over the years has been garage/estate sales. Funny how I've collected handtools/toolboxes without really using them until now... hmmm...

Yeah, it helps to get stuff up off the ground, and yes that's exactly the type I was referring to, the metal fold-up type, that way they can be easily stored away. You can also rip a piece of OSB or whatever into 4' X 4' pieces, then just have some 8' and 4' 2" s around and you will have the capability of a 4' X 4' work area or a 4' X 8' work area.

Ellen Benkin
04-04-2014, 4:22 PM
My first project when I retired was "built in" bookcases for my bedroom. All I had was a circular saw, a router (to make dados and rabbets), and a corded drill. I did have the lumber yard rip the plywood to final width, which made it much easier than trying to make an 8' cut with a circular saw. One of my first "real" tools was a miter saw and I'm not sure how I managed without it. If you are really getting serious about using hardwood I'd suggest a table saw to rip and then build a sled to crosscut. You will discover what you need as you progress on woodworking. If your local community college has a woodworking class, take it. You will learn a lot and make friends with similar interests.

Doug Ladendorf
04-04-2014, 4:27 PM
Dawn, to maximize what you already have you might be interested in a couple of jigs for your circular saw:
http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2600-Square-Cut/dp/B003ARSYQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396642667&sr=8-2&keywords=kreg+rip+cut+saw+guide
http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMA2675-Rip-Cut/dp/B007K5HIFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396642667&sr=8-1&keywords=kreg+rip+cut+saw+guide

These could take the place of a chop saw which you might find cumbersome to store and move or takes up space. With a small space the hand tool route is a good tactic. Many times something can be done by hand faster than setting up the cut with a power tool. This includes saws, which if sharp can be very efficient without too much huffing and puffing. Power tools you will probably need at some point for the projects you are talking about include a router (2 1/4 combo unit is versatile) with shop made table (can be small to stow away), drill press and a small band saw is very helpful.

If you get a lathe…well, prepare to be obsessed. Pair with a band saw and drill press.

Whatever you do have fun!

Jim Matthews
04-04-2014, 6:36 PM
Have a browse of Jim Tolpin's excellent "The New traditional woodworker".

He's an experienced professional cabinet maker, teacher and author.
Simple approaches with basic tools in his method.

FYI - No tablesaw required, bandsaw recommended.

Doug Ladendorf
04-04-2014, 7:20 PM
i forgot to mention a small compressor. useful for blowing things clear, small nailer/stapler etc.

dawn villaescusa
04-04-2014, 8:53 PM
Wow, as predicted, my list is getting longer! I picked up a couple of plastic sawhorses at the Tillamook lumber store today, along with three 6" Quik Grip pistol grips that were on sale for $4.99 ea. I'll check out the local community college to see if they offer anything, as well as Tolpin's book. I have a 24" Accu-rip I bought a long time ago - it got its first use on my bookcase, really like the look of the Kreg better though so it's going on the list along with most of the other things you all have suggested!

Robert Clarcke
04-04-2014, 8:56 PM
Followed this thread.. I'm also beginner :D
http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/10/buy.gif

Jak Kelly
04-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Wow, as predicted, my list is getting longer! I picked up a couple of plastic sawhorses at the Tillamook lumber store today, along with three 6" Quik Grip pistol grips that were on sale for $4.99 ea. I'll check out the local community college to see if they offer anything, as well as Tolpin's book. I have a 24" Accu-rip I bought a long time ago - it got its first use on my bookcase, really like the look of the Kreg better though so it's going on the list along with most of the other things you all have suggested!

Be careful, it is easy to become an addict, if you are not one already? I love all my tools and over the years I have come to a conclusion that it is usually better to get quality tools. I do not frequent Harbor Freight, there is one in our town and I have never been. But contrary to my statement, I have several friends who would fall into the quality tool fanatic category and they own some HF tools and have been very pleased with them. Chat forums are a good source for information as well. One tool that my mom got for me years ago was a Roto-Zip, I think that tools is very easy for a novice to use, especially when cutting circles in plywood, whether tracing a line or using their circle cut-out guide, and cutting countertops. That being said I also do not feel that the Roto-Zip is a direct replacement for any of my other tools, it just works better in some situations and that may also be a personal preference type thing.

Good luck!!