PDA

View Full Version : Making wooden Clamps

maximillian arango
04-02-2014, 5:54 PM
While messing around with wood(no pun intended), I would like to be some what productive while practicing technique. I was thinking of a few small things but I would rather try something to help me with projects further down the road. I have decided I would like to try to make clamps since the ones I have are only 12 inches long and larger good quality clamps will be most likely out of my price range. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them, I've seen a few examples online but would like to draw on the great minds of SMC. I did draw one up quickly and most likely would change some things when it came time to make it but please be as hard as possible on my take (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lkNTsncdPAd0NMcVdBMU9RUFE/edit?usp=sharing) of a 36" capacity bar clamp.

Thanks
~max

William Adams
04-02-2014, 6:48 PM
There are some plans here: http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-projects/free-jig-clamp-and-fixture-plans.html

Andrew Bell
04-02-2014, 8:51 PM
I've tried making a variation for the the wedge bar clamps that Izzy Swan makes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6MkXy1nos as I had no long clamps and needed them for only a short period and they worked well, probably inconvenient to use every day but it all depends on what your requirements are.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-02-2014, 10:45 PM
There's an article on period clamping techniques in the most recent Popular Woodworking, by Bob Rozaieski - there's a couple of panel-type clamps that look quite useful. No measurements/drawings, but the pictures should be all you need.

maximillian arango
04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you for all the examples so far

Joshua, so if I am reading this right if I stick with traditional joinery(which I intend) clamps are not necessary in assembly but are used to hold work down only when working on it. With the mechanical connection(Rozaieski's words) glue isn't necessary when using dovetails, drawbored/wedged mortise and tenon. So here is my question if I stick to using those joints entirely I can avoid using clamps for assembly and glue as the primary element of keeping everything together?

I'm glad I decided to pick up a magazine its answered more question then I've even asked yet.

bridger berdel
04-03-2014, 11:30 AM
when you are assembling something with a lot of joints, having everything held in place with clamps is pretty much mandatory

george wilson
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Glue isn't necessary when assembling dovetails? I'll keep on gluing them,I think!!:) In barn construction,no glue is used in drawbored mortise and tenon joints,but I do not advise leaving glue out when applying it to furniture construction. You will end up with wiggly joints down the road.

maximillian arango
04-03-2014, 1:49 PM
Glue isn't necessary when assembling dovetails? I'll keep on gluing them,I think!!:)

The way I read it was that glue isn't necessary to keep these joints together as the primary way of keeping things together vs something like a biscuit joint(Rozaieski's example) where if the glue fails the joint fails. I know there have been several debates on glue leaving me with the conclusion being that glue is stronger then the wood its holding together but I like the idea of glue being a second element keeping things together rather then glue alone keeping it together. I was planning on going with your suggested route of using glue because I don't think my joint will be the best on there own for some time. lol

Brian Holcombe
04-03-2014, 2:21 PM
Dovetails work mechanically in one plane.

I prefer to glue joints which do not rely on the strength of glue for a couple reasons; glue is gap filling and helps the joint to resist the initial wiggling that cause the joint to be loose later on.