PDA

View Full Version : iGaging DRO suddenly jumps 0.2"

Dick Mahany
04-02-2014, 9:18 AM
I remember a thread a few years back about a DRO that would suddenly jump 0.2". A few folks recommended the iGaging brand which supposedly didn't have that problem, so I bought one and installed it on my Jet JJP-12 combo machine about 4 years ago. Suddenly, it has started doing this as well. It has happened about 4 times in the last 6 months and each time I have installed new batteries however the display seems fine and isn't dim. It's a PITA to reset as it has to be removed from the mount to recalibrate. Two days ago, I actually saw it happen for no apparent reason and I wasn't even touching the machine.

Anyone have this experience or know of a solution, or is this a sign of impending failure?

Mike Nguyen
04-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes, my IGaging digital caliber jumps .2 every time I use it. I admit that I am using the cheap battery I got from Amazon that you can buy in bulk. I'll try the battery from Wallgreen next time since Glenn Bradley has good luck with them.

Curt Harms
04-03-2014, 9:50 AM
I remember a thread a few years back about a DRO that would suddenly jump 0.2". A few folks recommended the iGaging brand which supposedly didn't have that problem, so I bought one and installed it on my Jet JJP-12 combo machine about 4 years ago. Suddenly, it has started doing this as well. It has happened about 4 times in the last 6 months and each time I have installed new batteries however the display seems fine and isn't dim. It's a PITA to reset as it has to be removed from the mount to recalibrate. Two days ago, I actually saw it happen for no apparent reason and I wasn't even touching the machine.

Anyone have this experience or know of a solution, or is this a sign of impending failure?

Man, don't tell me that, I have the same setup :o. I recall from a Wixey thread that improper clearance between the 'stick' and 'body' could cause that symptom. I had a Wixey planer DRO and could never tighten it enough without the 'stick' moving with the head. The iGaging design's 'stick' is not spring loaded like the Wixey was so perhaps snugging the sliding part up a little might be worth a try if that's possible.

lowell holmes
04-03-2014, 10:47 AM
What in blazes is a DRO?

J.R. Rutter
04-03-2014, 10:59 AM
What in blazes is a DRO?

digital read out

Some of my calipers seem to be more "leaky" with batteries than others. Jumpy readings seem to start after the batteries have discharged to a certain voltage level, which seems to vary on the individual unit. It is a pain...

lowell holmes
04-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks! I had no idea.

Maybe I need one on my DW-1534.

Dick Mahany
04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I have noticed that the iGaging units have just about doubled in price in the most recent Grizzly catalog from when I purchased mine about 4 yrs ago. They are also listed as "new". I'm wondering if there has been a change in the chip or circuitry that may address this issue.

Matt Meiser
04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I haven't seen it with mine. Happened constantly with multiple Wixeys though some right out of the box.

Dick Mahany
04-04-2014, 8:34 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I guess I'll try some new batteries again and just keep an eye in it. Other than having developed this annoyance, I really like the iGaging unit's large display and magnetic attachment as it allows plenty of options for positioning the readout.

Phil Thien
04-04-2014, 9:22 AM
I don't know what kind of batteries are employed in these units, but I've read that there are a lot of fake coin/button batteries being sold in dollar stores, eBay, etc. Sometimes they even counterfeit reputable brands. I've read some of these batteries aren't even lithium but rather alkaline.

Matt Meiser
04-04-2014, 9:26 AM
Good point--I believe they are the ubiquitous CR2032.

Dick Mahany
04-04-2014, 9:28 AM
I don't know what kind of batteries are employed in these units, but I've read that there are a lot of fake coin/button batteries being sold in dollar stores, eBay, etc. Sometimes they even counterfeit reputable brands. I've read some of these batteries aren't even lithium but rather alkaline.

I'm using Energizer brand CR2032. Maybe they were old when I bought them, but I'm still not sure if its the unit or the batteries.

Alan Schaffter
04-04-2014, 11:01 PM
The .2 jump is indeed a problem with many of these units- the cause- weak battery, nothing more.

The display and measuring function, except for the .2" error/jump, appear to work and look normal in all other respects.

Change the battery.