PDA

View Full Version : Tool recommendation please!

Jim Mackell
04-02-2014, 8:15 AM
So I've run into a dilemma and need a recommendation for either a tool or solution: My kitchen floor has two layers of plywood as the sub-floor (originally had linoleum in the kitchen, carpet in the living room, the two layers made them equal height). Going to put down tile. I'm going to set my circular saw to a depth matching the thickness of the second plywood layer and cut a grid on the floor, then pry it up to get back to the original first layer. I tried this in the corner as a test and it's not glued down, just screwed. Where I'm going to run into a problem is next to/under the overhang of the cabinets AKA the toekick area. I need someway to cut the plywood close to the bottom of the cabinet. The sawsall won't work since the blade tip jumps around too much... any ideas? Thanks!

Dick Mahany
04-02-2014, 8:26 AM
You could use a multi tool such as the Fein with a cutting blade, although I think it would take some time and a few blades, or see if anyone rents one of the Crain specialized toe kick saws, they're made just for that purpose.

Brian McCaskill
04-02-2014, 10:15 AM
You could use a multi tool such as the Fein with a cutting blade.

This x1000. I used to think the whole multi tool thing was kind of a joke, but picked up a 3 amp Bosch and have been converted into a true believer. They don't really do any one thing great, but they do a TON of things really well.

Jamie Buxton
04-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Or if you can't find a toe kick saw in a rental place, you can buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight for $75.

Harry Hagan
04-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I don’t have a solution but I think it’s more complicated if you want the tile under the toe kick. I’m thinking toe kick saws cut on the horizontal and you need to make vertical cuts to remove the top layer of plywood.

You might also need to cut the toe kick.

My experience with multi tools is that the blades don’t last very long so the cost/frustration factor might make that approach prohibitive

Good luck.

Here's what I had in mind for a toekick saw:

That Harbor Freight model looks like it will get the job done!

Jim Andrew
04-02-2014, 1:02 PM
Are you sure the second plywood layer goes under the cabinets? Sometimes guys hang the cabinets first, then put the underlayment up to the toe kick. You could tell for sure by measuring the height of the base cabinets. If it goes under, might be the easiest to take off your tops and base units a few at a time and just saw it off with your skilsaw. On the other hand, if it is 1/2" plywood on the upper layer, why not just lay your tile on top of it? That is what we did before the hardyboard came out. Using modified mortar, it will stick your tiles to plywood.

johnny means
04-02-2014, 2:01 PM
I would not want to cut 10 or 20 feet of plywood with any multitool. If I didn't remove the cabinets, I'd probably just live with the 1/2". If the extra height is absolutely a deal breaker you could set up a trim router with a slot cutter running flush to an auxiliary base.

Mike Olson
04-02-2014, 2:39 PM
when was your house built and are your cabinets original?

Just thinking that if both of those layers were put in after the cabinets were installed, then you can cut in front of the cabinets and then pry out the pieces under the toe-kicks as they wouldn't go under the cabinets.

Jim Mackell
04-02-2014, 3:53 PM
Thanks for all the input. Off to check out the HF toe kick saw. Never heard of it before today.

peter gagliardi
04-02-2014, 4:01 PM
Short of a toe kick saw, the sawzall is the best fastest tool. It can and does work very well. A few pointers- use a 12" blade,
If the saw has orbital action, turn it OFF. If the angle of the blade is not ideal sawing in the forward facing position, turn the blade around to face backward.
I have done hundreds of feet over the years, and it DOES take a little finesse. You have to basically start the blade bent up against and parallel to the toe kick .

Peter Quinn
04-02-2014, 5:19 PM
Toe kick saw is the best idea, a die grinder with the right cut off wheel might work, pretty sure a rotozip with direct drive attachment would make that cut too. You could do it with a multi tool, but if its a lot of LF thats a painful proposition, could be done, but ouch. My local rental place has both jamb saws (horizontal) and toe kick saws (vertical) for that sort of retro fit work. Course HF is nearly as cheap as a day rental.

Pat Barry
04-02-2014, 7:23 PM
So I've run into a dilemma and need a recommendation for either a tool or solution: My kitchen floor has two layers of plywood as the sub-floor (originally had linoleum in the kitchen, carpet in the living room, the two layers made them equal height). Going to put down tile. I'm going to set my circular saw to a depth matching the thickness of the second plywood layer and cut a grid on the floor, then pry it up to get back to the original first layer. I tried this in the corner as a test and it's not glued down, just screwed. Where I'm going to run into a problem is next to/under the overhang of the cabinets AKA the toekick area. I need someway to cut the plywood close to the bottom of the cabinet. The sawsall won't work since the blade tip jumps around too much... any ideas? Thanks!
How thick is the 1st layer of plywood? It might only be 1/2" in which case you want the 2nd layer for sure, especially if you are thinking tile on top.

CPeter James
04-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Here is your answer for only $40.

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/4405195985.html

CPeter

Ken Mackell
04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone - I asked OP the question originally and he posted on my behalf, and it's taken me until now to get my account approved. Thanks for all the input and suggestions, and great questions! So to start from the top, I think the toe kick saw will be my best bet, as I've got about 20 LF I'd need to cut. I think the multi-tool would work, it would just take too long. Both layers of plywood go under the cabinets, the top sheet is 1/2", and the bottom sheet is 3/4". I'll readily admit my sawzall skills aren't good enough to try and cut it that way.

Bill Neely
04-04-2014, 12:58 AM
The one in the link posted by CPeter James is the what you need, the other one pictured is an undercut saw.