PDA

View Full Version : Static buildup between PSU and case

Jonathan Bowen
04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
So the PSU is grounded to the earth ground from the power supply is attached to the ground provided for the old PSU. However, the case seems to build up a charge over time. Touching the PSU and the case causes a rather big jolt. The PSU also just died on me. I heard a pop and then the laser died. There is a small scorch mark on the part labeled RT1. Thermistor? I'd really love it if I could cut for more then 2 days in a row...

Allen Rawley
04-02-2014, 1:05 AM
Typically in Chinese high voltage glass tube laser machines, the power supply is grounded to the enclosure by either a short wire from the psu to the enclosure, or by direct mounting (make sure some of the paint is sanded off the carbon steel sheet metal for a good electrical connection). An earth ground is safest for the power supply. Make sure that your home ground is working properly (assuming this is setup at the home).

Most power supplies are under warranty and can be repaired. Contact the manufacturer for a replacement if it has been two days since you got it running. Some manufacturers will help you out with the shipping costs (yes, even some Chinese guys will contribute to it).

Any photos?

Jonathan Bowen
04-02-2014, 1:48 AM
Well it looks like the problem is just a blown fuse. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I need to hunt a replacement down tomorrow. However, I'd like to fix the issue that cause it as well.