PDA

View Full Version : U-shape or V-shape bowl gouge

Lawrence Tarnoff
04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
I am thinking about buying one of David Thompson's bowl gouges. Looking for comments on the differences between U-shape and V-shape. I still consider myself a novice turner.

Larry

Roger Chandler
04-01-2014, 10:24 PM
I have more V shapes than U shapes..........I like the V for most things........just my preference I guess. The U shape will clear chips more quickly because there is more volume to the flute but the difference is minor in my opinion on gouges of the same diameter. Some bottom feeder grinds work well on U flutes.

Lloyd Butler
04-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Most of my bowl gouges are more V than U. I have gotten use to the variety of cutting surfaces around the flute. I think Roger is correct that for a gouge ground to help with the bottom of bowls, then U makes a better choice. Which ever you get, use it and keep it sharp.

I hope you are thinking of Doug Thompson's gouges as I think David's may be a made of much different material. 8^)

Steve Mawson
04-01-2014, 10:57 PM
I have both in the 1/2" size. As others said U probably a little easier in the bottom of the bowl. I probably use the U a little more, both will make the curlies fly.

Reed Gray
04-02-2014, 12:32 AM
I keep switching back and forth. I tend to hold my gouges level, and rolled over on the sides, some times at 45 degrees, some times at 90 degrees. I think I like the V for the 45 degree roll, and the U for the 90 degree roll. I think the V works better with a more swept back shape, and the U with more of the 45 degree bevel, and 45 degree sweep. The U makes a better bottom feeder type, but for that, I prefer a shallow spindle gouge with a ) nose, and Doug's fluteless gouges.

I will have at least one of everything. This is, of course for research purposes......

robo hippy

Dale Miner
04-02-2014, 7:46 AM
I am thinking about buying one of David Thompson's bowl gouges. Looking for comments on the differences between U-shape and V-shape. I still consider myself a novice turner.

Larry

Get one of each and report back on your preference.

The U cuts cleaner, the V tolerates slight presentation errors better.

Thom Sturgill
04-02-2014, 8:10 AM
Doug recommends the V, carries the U because of demand. I have half a dozen V or Parabolic gouges and only one U because I like using the wings for many cuts and the U does not produce particularly usable wings, though it does have a larger "sweet spot" for push cuts. A 'V' fluted gouge, depending on bowl shape, CAN be used start to finish on a bowl and give excellent results. I doubt that you can say that about a gouge with a 'U' shaped flute, unless by 'bowl' you mean platter.

John Keeton
04-02-2014, 8:30 AM
I use Doug's 3/8V for detailing and Dave's (D-Way) 1/2" for go to work. I have Doug's 1/2" U for a bottom feeder. That combination seems to work well for the work I do. Personal style and methods, as well as the type of work you do will influence your choices and you really won't know until you try them. I started with Doug's 1/2"V as my go to, but ended up liking Dave's profile and polished fliute better.

Quinn McCarthy
04-02-2014, 9:27 AM
Roger,

i have just one Thompson bowl gouge and ity is the bill grumbine model which is 5/8 V. I just love it for anything.

Quinn

Lawrence Tarnoff
04-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks, friends. I ordered the 1/2 inch V with the 16 inch handle.

Larry

Harry Robinette
04-02-2014, 2:41 PM
Doug will tell you the V gouge is for hogging out material and the U is for clean-up work. I have a couple of U's and V's in each size used as a hogger and finisher they do a unbelievable job together. If buying only one you choice the best one the V is the best if you only have one.
I believe the only parabolic flute now is Crowns Ellsworth grind 5/8 bowl gouge. Unless the Glaser Hi-tech are being made that company tends to come and go allot.

Reed Gray
04-02-2014, 3:32 PM
I am going to have to work on Doug. I think he still doesn't like to make scrapers. Best hogging out tool = scraper (Looks like I will be next to his booth in Phoenix). How well a tool works for hogging out depends on horse power/torque, grind a little bit, and the Brute on the other end of the handle. The more swept back the wings are, the more steel you can put into the wood at one time. How much you can put into the wood depends on how much hp your lathe has because it doesn't take a lot of steel to stall a lathe. I have no problem stalling my 3 hp Beauty with a 1 inch wide scraper, especially on larger diameter bowls. For most lathes and situations, a 45 degree sweep and 5/8 flute can be adept at stalling just about any lathe, again, depending on the Brute.

robo hippy

Dale Miner
04-02-2014, 5:59 PM
I am going to have to work on Doug. I think he still doesn't like to make scrapers. Best hogging out tool = scraper (Looks like I will be next to his booth in Phoenix). How well a tool works for hogging out depends on horse power/torque, grind a little bit, and the Brute on the other end of the handle. The more swept back the wings are, the more steel you can put into the wood at one time. How much you can put into the wood depends on how much hp your lathe has because it doesn't take a lot of steel to stall a lathe. I have no problem stalling my 3 hp Beauty with a 1 inch wide scraper, especially on larger diameter bowls. For most lathes and situations, a 45 degree sweep and 5/8 flute can be adept at stalling just about any lathe, again, depending on the Brute.

robo hippy

Having a great time, send more horsepower. :D

John M. Smith
04-02-2014, 7:32 PM
I recently took a class from Lyle Jamieson. He is having a 5/8" gouge made by Doug Thompson now. It is a parabolic flute. We used them in class and all 3 of us bought one from him. It is fast becoming my go to gouge. Not sure if it is available thru Doug's site. Yp can get them from Lyle's site.

Harry Robinette
04-02-2014, 8:14 PM
I have to call Doug and find out about this I like a parabolic flute gouge.

robert baccus
04-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I have several U & V shapes and find that generally the V grinds seem better on side cutting irish grind uses. The U shaped seems better for push cutting. I use both depending on the cut and wood.

Guy Belleman
04-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Been using the Thompson V shape for a few months now, and tend to prefer the U shaped chisels for what I make.

Reed Gray
04-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Well, I have 2 Oneway gouges from years back, and they have parabolic flutes. Some times I really love the way they cut, but can't figure out what they do that my V and U flutes can't or won't. At least till I figure it out. Wing sweep makes huge differences, and how you use the wings and noses. I probably will never figure it all out. I do know that some times one gouge will work on one bowl shape, or if it isn't working, switching to another one seems to make a huge difference. No reason that I can see other than 'because'.

robo hippy

Richard Jones
04-05-2014, 5:10 AM
I believe the Sorby gouges have parabolic flutes as well. Whatever you call it, I've found myself reverting to them in lieu of my Thompson V & U shapes, now languishing in the rack. If you find something that works well for you, don't fight it, just feed it a steady supply of wood......

We are all extremely fortunate that we have so many options available to us that match our different styles. Twern't always so................