PDA

View Full Version : Recommended material for outdoor cutouts

mike holden
04-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I made a nativity scene for our front lawn many years ago, and it is in sorry shape now. Years of sitting in snow have warped and in places delaminated the plywood.
I need to remake this, what would be the recommended material. Preferably one that is available at the big box stores, I think a high density plastic or corian would be perfect, but unobtainable.

John TenEyck
04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Nearly anything is obtainable for a price. Sign makers use a product called MDO (Medium Density Overlay). It's an exterior plywood with a phenolic impregnated paper on one or both sides, depending upon which grade you buy. As long as you paint it well, especially the cut edges, it will last for many years. You should be able to order it from your full service lumber yard. I think I paid about $85/sheet of 3/4" with paper on both sides when I bought some a couple of years ago. I believe it also is available as thin as 1/2". It works nicely, and paints beautifully.

John

Myk Rian
04-01-2014, 1:29 PM
MDO is ok, but there is also HDO.
http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/img/PDFs/PlywoodGuide.pdf

Mel Fulks
04-01-2014, 2:27 PM
MDO mfg specs call for the plywood edges to be covered but most commercial sign makers don't do that, and it still holds
up well. For curved outline shapes that can't be covered with wood ,like your project, I glue light canvas to the edges ,then paint .
Extremely long lasting. For your purpose you need the TWO good side stuff.

Peter Quinn
04-01-2014, 6:05 PM
They sell polyurethane trim material in sheets (4X8), I can get this from my local lumber yard, not sure a big box will stock it, my local big box sells azec, might be able to order it, though most big boxes are not IME great with special orders. This will not warp or rot.

mike holden
04-02-2014, 3:41 PM
Thanks for the leads. I will see if I can get the poly first, but otherwise I will look to the MDO/HDO.
Thanks again,
Mike