PDA

View Full Version : Planing a 2-degree angle onto a vise jaw

Paul Mathus
04-01-2014, 1:21 AM
Folks,

I am installing the Veritas twin screw vise on a bench I'm building.
The directions say to put a 2-degree angle on the inner face of the outer jaw and suggest either a hand plane or a planer to do it. I don't have a planer so hand planes it is.

The jaw is a roughly 20"x 8"x 2" piece of hard maple.
I have #3 and #5 planes.

What's the best way to do this with hand tools? I am a bit of a novice. Should I just go for it with light cuts and a straightedge and hope for the best? I am worried about screwing up the jaw, it was a lot of work to get it laminated, drilled for the vise, etc

thanks for any advice.
Pm

Winton Applegate
04-01-2014, 1:55 AM
Lay it out on the edges, zero at the top edge and run a two degree line along the 8 inch sides and connect them with lines along the 20 inch top and bottom (I suppose the top one isn't needed if the board is straight to start with).

Then plane to the lines as if you were thickness plaining a board with parallel sides.

Bob Lang
04-01-2014, 6:21 AM
Mark a line on one edge about 1/8" down from the face. Plane a bevel down to the line, at this point the angle of the bevel doesn't matter, you're only creating a target. Tilt the plane back towards level and make the bevel wider on the face side. Keep going like that until you reach the top corner.

Bob Lang

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
In my experience getting a two degree taper on a board is simply a matter of trying to square a board properly, but doing at the end of the day when you should have really packed it in.

Derek Cohen
04-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Glue a Wixey digital level to a LV LA Jack. Hold plane at 2 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Greg Berlin
04-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Glue a Wixey digital level to a LV LA Jack. Hold plane at 2 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek

HAHAHAHA Now I know the perfect use for that damn thing I bought when I first started woodworking! Brilliant!

Chris Padilla
04-01-2014, 8:02 PM
But you'll first need to replace the batteries, Greg! ;)

Sam Stephens
04-01-2014, 9:47 PM
But you'll first need to replace the batteries, Greg! ;)

i thought i was the only one!