PDA

View Full Version : Productive day in the shop

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-22-2005, 3:20 PM
This morning I attached the base to the two halves of a smallish mesquite leaf table, and attached the apron pieces to the leaf. Then sanded and stained (Minwax natural) the underneath and legs so I can save at least one time 'turning it over'. Tomorrow I'll sand and stain the top do I can shoot it Sunday. Nuthin' special. As you can see, I'm a firm believer in those little clip thingies to line things up. :eek: :D Simple, 'heavy' Shaker type legs, 37-3/4 square without the 12" leaf.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/norma4.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/norma5.jpg

D.McDonnel "Mac"
06-22-2005, 4:07 PM
Looks great KC! I'm going to have to try and get some Mesquite. The stuff is georgeous but I'm afraid it will be expensive up here in Indiana if I can even find it. May have to order it in from the Lone Star state.

Mac

Keith Hooks
06-22-2005, 4:28 PM
Wow, the color just pops under that natural stain. It looks gorgeous.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2005, 4:34 PM
How is mesquite to work with, hard to mill, stability, etc? Is it similar to any other wood in its qualities? Alan in Md.

Brad Schmid
06-22-2005, 4:51 PM
Very nice work KC! I really like Mesquite.

How is mesquite to work with, hard to mill, stability, etc? Is it similar to any other wood in its qualities? Alan in Md.

Alan -

Mesquite is very hard. The relative hardness of Mesquite is 2345 pounds per square inch. For comparison: Hickory/Pecan=1820, Hard Maple=1450, Red Oak=1290, Walnut=1010, Cherry=950, so you can get an idea how hard it really is.

Also, Mesquite is very good with regards to dimensional stability. The dimensional change coefficient of Mesquite is .00129 compared to: Hickory/Pecan=.0041, Hard Maple=.00353, Red Oak=.00369, Walnut=.00274, Cherry=.00248. Very stable.

So Mesquite combines hardness and stability into one package so to speak. Down side is, it takes it's toll on cutting edges a little faster than most domestic hardwoods. Bigger downside: It's expensive, even here in Tx.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike Cutler
06-22-2005, 5:55 PM
Nice work KC, but then all of the Mesquite pieces I've seen you post are nice. I'm with the others. Someday I'm going to have to try Mesquite.
Once again, Nice work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Very nice work KC! I really like Mesquite.

Alan -

Mesquite is very hard. The relative hardness of Mesquite is 2345 pounds per square inch. For comparison: Hickory/Pecan=1820, Hard Maple=1450, Red Oak=1290, Walnut=1010, Cherry=950, so you can get an idea how hard it really is.

Also, Mesquite is very good with regards to dimensional stability. The dimensional change coefficient of Mesquite is .00129 compared to: Hickory/Pecan=.0041, Hard Maple=.00353, Red Oak=.00369, Walnut=.00274, Cherry=.00248. Very stable.

So Mesquite combines hardness and stability into one package so to speak. Down side is, it takes it's toll on cutting edges a little faster than most domestic hardwoods. Bigger downside: It's expensive, even here in Tx.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad, Thanks for all the interesting info. Man that mesquite sounds like iron. It would make a great work bench as well as other things that need that type of hardness. Man almost double the hardness of hard maple! I'd make sure and sharpen all my tools and get a new TS blade. Thanks again for all that info. Alan

Corey Hallagan
06-23-2005, 12:14 AM
KC, beautiful looking piece! Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen much made from mesquite until I came here. Seems to be a favorite here. Again, nice work!

Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Brad, Thanks for all the interesting info. Man that mesquite sounds like iron. It would make a great work bench as well as other things that need that type of hardness. Man almost double the hardness of hard maple! I'd make sure and sharpen all my tools and get a new TS blade. Thanks again for all that info. Alan

I've never understood all the 'book' talk about mesquite being hard(er) on tools...it's just not so, in my experience. Cherry will tear up blades faster than mesquite. I get tired of working it sometimes simply because it's become a pain to find (and keep) reliable sources..but if supply wasn't an issue there'd be no reason to work with anything else. It just machines and finishes beautifully. :)

KC

Martin Shupe
06-23-2005, 1:22 AM
Hey KC!

That table looks beautiful, but I expected nothing less. Had a nice visit with you the other day, and I promise I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

I know what you mean about a hot shop. I was telling my wife the other day that I should have flipped the house when I built it. As it is, the afternoon sun shines right into my garage shop, and I hate sweating onto my projects.

John Hart
06-23-2005, 6:50 AM
Nice table KC. My first mesquite project was a pen last night. I agree that it wasn't hard on the tools. (course then, a pen isn't very demanding on tools) but I found it easy to work with and it finished beautifully. Your table is going to be great.