PDA

View Full Version : another wood haul and the first bowl from it...

David Coburn
03-31-2014, 1:36 PM
I have a friend that has some land in East Texas (where they actually have a few trees...).. He has been clearing it to put a house on it for a while. He said come on out and get some wood if you want... So my wife, my two daughters, and I went out Friday and spent the night... His wife and daughter are good friends with mine.. Actually they are more the friends than Philip and I prior to this trip... Anyway, when I got out there he had several large trees already down that looked promising to me. There was one in particular that had a trunk that must have been 36" (or more) in diameter... It was huge... There was a limb that had been cut off and sawn up into roughly 24" lengths. There were two logs that were still on the ground. I grabbed them both. There was also a limb still on the tree that was about the same diameter. We cut off 5 slices at about 18 to 24" each. The first picture is of the wood out on the property. The second picture is of the first bowl out of the bunch. This one came from one of the limbs that were already on the ground. As I was sawing it up on Saturday I noticed that even the wood from the limb that was still on the tree had a lot of spalting in it. mostly about 2" into the limb section from anywhere on the exterior.

The bowl shown here was pretty fragile as I was going and I kept stopping and fixing small cracks that would appear with cynoacrylate... I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... 6.5" across the rim and about 4.5" tall.

cya,
david

robert baccus
03-31-2014, 10:55 PM
Nice haul for sure. Looks like hackberry spalt?

David Coburn
04-01-2014, 5:37 AM
Hi Robert,

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's White Oak.. I had no idea until I started cutting it and was sawing put the pith.. Again, I'm far from sure..

cya,
david

charlie knighton
04-01-2014, 9:05 AM
there is a lot of oak in east texas........David, try and find some mesquite......one of the best turning woods there is.......I turn oak ocassionally also

Chip Sutherland
04-02-2014, 4:18 PM
Hey neighbor!! I really like that wood. I would have guessed hackberry, too. The white & red oak I have pulled from East Texas that were that spalted were extremely punky and not exactly good turning material. Nonetheless that is a beautiful piece of wood.

PS....I am a member of the Golden Triangle Woodturning club in Denton...Do I know you? Next meeting is next Monday at 7pm. Bring the Bowl for Show n Tell !!!