PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Catalog

Jay Knoll
06-22-2005, 1:36 PM
Hi

Anyone else having trouble getting a "hard copy" of the Grizzly catalog? Over the past 6 months I've requested a copy at least 4 times over the internet, nothing ever shows up in the mailbox. I know it is in on the web, but sometimes I like to get away from the computer!

I know a lot of you are happy with your Grizzly products, but the fact that they can't even get a catalog to me gives me pause about what kind of service I would get if I bought one of their machines and there were problems.

Jay

Tim Morton
06-22-2005, 1:39 PM
did you try calling them? It is a nice catalog, but I like the web one better...searchable and I can zoom in on finer details if needed.

Craig Zettle
06-22-2005, 1:49 PM
I was just at the tent sale in Muncy and they had stacks of catalogs sitting around, so they do have them.

Bob Borzelleri
06-22-2005, 2:38 PM
I requested one over the phone. It came in about two weeks, if I recall correctly.

...Bob

Bill Lewis
06-22-2005, 3:09 PM
Uh Oh, one day you're going to get 4 catalogs in the mail.:)

scott spencer
06-22-2005, 3:41 PM
I've received one every year since I ordered from them the first time four years ago. Buy a 1023SLX or a 12" jointer and see if they send you one. :D

Bob Stroman
06-22-2005, 4:37 PM
I was just at the tent sale in Muncy and they had stacks of catalogs sitting around, so they do have them.

Craig,

How was the tent sale? Did they have significant savings on scratch and dent machines such as 12" or 16" jointers or big bandsaws?

BTW - They send that catalog every year to me. I've ordered a few accessories. Did you ever notice how some of their parts fit old Delta/Rockwell designs?

Bob

Craig Zettle
06-22-2005, 9:30 PM
Bob,
I have gone to three tent sales so far, and have not found a thing. Here is what happens, draw your own conclusions.
The sale starts at 8 AM. I was running late, got there at 8:20.(Drove 2 1/2 hours) Everything that was even close to not being junk was marked SOLD. There are 6 or 7 tents scattered around the grounds with a variety of machines in them, so the only way these machines could possibly be sold so quickly is if people are being tipped off as to price, condition, location (which tent), etc. There is no way I could make a decision on a machine, especially a damaged one, in a minute or 2, but after 3 tent sales under my belt, that is what is happening. Some of the machines are just missing handles, hold downs, minor stuff, and priced accordingly. Some are really messed up, major rust, missing major parts, these are the machines that are left at 8:20. There are some deals, but you really have to be aware of current price increases vs the original price of the machine as most of this stuff is not current run.
Here is a redeeming part of the tent sale. Inside are factory reps offering a percent (varies, 20% was common this year) on hand power tools. I was looking for a dovetail jig, no luck there, but there was some good deals on other brand name tools.
Carnaval atmosphere, lots of tools, kind of fun, but unless you know an employee of Grizzly, don't expect the deal of a lifetime.

Corey Hallagan
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
I ordered a 30.00 item 6 months ago, received a catalog with the order and have received 2 large mini sale catalogs since then. If I were you, I would call them and tell them you are ready to pull the trigger on some equipment but want to study a print copy first and need it asap. If they dont send one to you .... they may never know what they missed!

Corey

Jim Young
06-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I got the catalog right after I submitted the request. I have to say though that it's not a good thing having that thing around the house. Every time I look into it my wife makes a comment like "you're not thinking of getting anything , are you?".

Chip Olson
06-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Problem with the Grizzly catalog is, if it gets any thicker, they're going to have to start shipping it truck freight like their machinery. :-)

Larry Browning
06-23-2005, 2:03 PM
Bob,
I have gone to three tent sales so far, and have not found a thing. Here is what happens, draw your own conclusions.
The sale starts at 8 AM. I was running late, got there at 8:20.(Drove 2 1/2 hours) Everything that was even close to not being junk was marked SOLD. There are 6 or 7 tents scattered around the grounds with a variety of machines in them, so the only way these machines could possibly be sold so quickly is if people are being tipped off as to price, condition, location (which tent), etc. There is no way I could make a decision on a machine, especially a damaged one, in a minute or 2, but after 3 tent sales under my belt, that is what is happening. Some of the machines are just missing handles, hold downs, minor stuff, and priced accordingly. Some are really messed up, major rust, missing major parts, these are the machines that are left at 8:20. There are some deals, but you really have to be aware of current price increases vs the original price of the machine as most of this stuff is not current run.
Here is a redeeming part of the tent sale. Inside are factory reps offering a percent (varies, 20% was common this year) on hand power tools. I was looking for a dovetail jig, no luck there, but there was some good deals on other brand name tools.
Carnaval atmosphere, lots of tools, kind of fun, but unless you know an employee of Grizzly, don't expect the deal of a lifetime.

Another thing that happens, is that early on people just pull the tags on a hole bunch of machines that they MIGHT want to buy, then they go off browsing the rest of the sale, come back, look over the ones they had pulled the tags on, pick out the best one and go buy it. The rest of the ones they didn't buy just sit there for about 2 hours and then they retag them. So, if you see something you like that has it's tag pulled, wait around for a bit and it might go back on sale.

Bill Crofutt
06-23-2005, 4:03 PM
Bob,

Craig,

I want to assure you that no one is being tipped off what is inside the tents. A lot of these folks make a very quick decision based on almost no looking and I guess they trust their luck not to get in over their heads. I think people go there with a price in mind and grab the first one they see in their price range that looks OK with a quick glance. What we have noticed is that the last few years the number of folks who bring binoculars has really increased and they sneak-a-peek the day before while we are setting up or early before the sales starts. The line starts the evening of the day before the sale and the old saying that the early bird get's the worm can hold true, but there are still things to choose from even into the afternoon. I have talked to many people who have built their almost entire shop with tent sale machines. I still am amazed every time I see the crowd running into the sale area. I've been to them all and it is a fun day despite all the work done in advance.
You're right about the 20% off on Dewalt, Makita and Porter Cable though.

Bill Crofutt
06-23-2005, 4:06 PM
Hi

Anyone else having trouble getting a "hard copy" of the Grizzly catalog? Over the past 6 months I've requested a copy at least 4 times over the internet, nothing ever shows up in the mailbox. I know it is in on the web, but sometimes I like to get away from the computer!

I know a lot of you are happy with your Grizzly products, but the fact that they can't even get a catalog to me gives me pause about what kind of service I would get if I bought one of their machines and there were problems.

Jay

Jay,

Email me with your info including phone number (no one will call) and I send one out. Can't explain why you aren't getting one.....maybe the post office is full of woodworkers.... :)

Jay Knoll
06-23-2005, 5:41 PM
Bill

Thanks, sent you an email

Jay

Kevin Post
06-23-2005, 6:03 PM
No trouble at all! I requested one from their web site about 2 weeks ago. I didn't expect it to arrive quickly. I also placed a check in the "send a catalog" box when I placed an order last week. Both arrived on the same day.

Maybe you're having trouble getting a catalog because people like me are hoarding them. http://home.centurytel.net/rockyroad/images/Tomato.gif

Craig Zettle
06-23-2005, 9:30 PM
Bill, if you say no one is tipping off their friends where the good stuff is, then I believe you. You have to understand that I am speaking from my experience and, you know, if I even knew which tent to bolt to to find a certain piece of equipment, I would have an advantage during the rush. This year especially, I couldn't believe it. (I was looking for a 3hp shaper, and they were in the first tent!). As you can see, I do keep trying, dispite a 100% failure rate. The binocular trick would give you an advantage, but like I said I am not local to Muncy so rule that out.

I do have fun when I go though, as just looking at tools and hanging out with other like minded individuals is a good time!

Jay Knoll
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Bill

Thanks for the assistance, the catalog arrived today and LOL is already giving me looks! Guess I'll have to find a new project that fits the tool I want!

Thanks again

Jay

Richard Wolf
06-25-2005, 4:59 PM
Jay, start reading Victoria's Secerts catalog, the wife will be glad when you go back to the Grizzly!

Richard