PDA

View Full Version : Using a Trotec Speedy 300 to etch letters into a marble memorial

Sheri Ward
03-31-2014, 8:45 AM
Hi there

We're quite new to lasering, and we've been asked if we can engrave lettering into a 18" x 15" marble memorial stone. I've seen pictures of etching etc so I imagine this can be done.
The only thing concerning me is that we're waiting for a part still to be fitted to our new machine, the "option fire detector" which I believe is needed if engraving stone etc. Is it best to avoid trying this until the part is fitted? Or realistically won't it matter too much?

Sorry if this sounds very stupid!

Thanks

Sheri

Scott Shepherd
03-31-2014, 9:16 AM
Hi there

We're quite new to lasering, and we've been asked if we can engrave lettering into a 18" x 15" marble memorial stone. I've seen pictures of etching etc so I imagine this can be done.
The only thing concerning me is that we're waiting for a part still to be fitted to our new machine, the "option fire detector" which I believe is needed if engraving stone etc. Is it best to avoid trying this until the part is fitted? Or realistically won't it matter too much?

Sorry if this sounds very stupid!

Thanks

Sheri

I don't think the optional fire detector is going to do anything in reference to engraving stone. There's nothing to catch fire when engraving stone. You should be perfectly fine. I don't know what that option on the Trotec does, but if it's like the one on the Universal, it's just a temperature sensor that once the internal temperature of the cabinet reaches a certain temp, it shuts the machine off. So it takes a fire to get the temp up to trip the sensor to shut it off. I can't think of any way to start a fire when engraving marble, even if you wanted to.

Mike Null
03-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Sheri

The load limit on your table is 44 lbs. I don't know how thick that piece is but it would be worth checking the weight.

Joe Hillmann
03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
What color is the stone? I have only had luck with perfectly black marble. Also it wont cut into the marble, it will mark/etch it a white color that will last as long as the polished surface of the stone lasts.