PDA

View Full Version : DIY Beadboard

Ken Krawford
03-31-2014, 8:32 AM
I need to make some beadboard and have looked a bit at router bit sets. So far this one from Freud looks like it would work ok but I've read a few negative reviews on the T&G bit. The other wrinkle is that the bead is going to have to be on both sides. If anyone has any feedback, suggestions or wisdom, I'm all ears.

George Bokros
03-31-2014, 9:50 AM
Do you mean you need the bead on both faces or both edges? You shouldn't need the bead on both edges, if you put a bead on both edges the one in the middle of the piece will not match the ones where the two pieces come together.

George

Ken Krawford
03-31-2014, 12:58 PM
I was referring to beads on both faces. Another clarification - the beadboard is going to be 1/2" thick.

Do you mean you need the bead on both faces or both edges? You shouldn't need the bead on both edges, if you put a bead on both edges the one in the middle of the piece will not match the ones where the two pieces come together.

George

Bruce Wrenn
03-31-2014, 9:24 PM
Sears / Corob molding head will do the trick. I have a triple bead cutter, that we ground off the outer two beads to make a single bead.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-01-2014, 2:17 AM
Sears / Corob molding head will do the trick. I have a triple bead cutter, that we ground off the outer two beads to make a single bead.

+1 for this. I have a shaper but that tablesaw cutter set can do some neat stuff. eBay or corob cutter are your best sources.

Ken Krawford
04-01-2014, 7:32 AM
Actually, I have the Craftsman triple bead cutter. That would save me $20 and probably make the beading process easier than on a router table.
Any suggestions on the tongue & groove bit? Anything better than the Freud?

Bruce Wrenn
04-01-2014, 9:49 PM
Again, you Craftsman cutter.