PDA

View Full Version : Need a better handle When using Veritas LA Jack as Shooting Plane

Prashun Patel
03-31-2014, 7:37 AM
Thanks to the guidance here, I'm appreciating the wonders of shooting miters and square ends with my Veritas Low Angle Jack plane.

My only issue is that the handle is not appropriately located. I tried a taller shooting board to give my knuckles more clearance, and I've tried holding the side of the plane body instead of the handle. Neither works as well as (i imagine) a 45 degree handle.

LN's version of this plane has an optional 'hot dog' handle.

Has anyone jacked their jack to have better shooting ergonomics?

Love to see pix.

Thanks in advance.

lowell holmes
03-31-2014, 8:12 AM
IIRC,

Derek has an article making a hot dog handle for the Veritas LAJ plane.

Don Dorn
03-31-2014, 8:36 AM
Crap, had I known that, I probably would have kept mine because it did a good job. I've since gotten a Record T-5 which also works very well and has a nice handle, but there is no debating the LAJ is perfect for that job.

Derek Cohen
03-31-2014, 8:42 AM
Hi Prashun

I wrote about this when I compared the LN #51, LN #9 and the LV LA Jack as shooting planes. Once the LV LA Jack is held with the correct grip, it transforms the way the plane works as a shooter. This can negate the need for a hotdog handle. Below is an extract from the article ...

"The correct way (in my opinion) of holding the LAJ (and shooting planes generally), is to exert downforce at a central point while simultaneously exerting low lateral sideforce. One must not attempt to simply push the plane against the sidewall to the shooting board. This will unbalance the plane and cause it to cant over.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/ShootingPlanesCompared_html_309f013.jpg

Downforce is applied by the thumb directly into the dimpled fingerhole. Sideforce is applied by the four fingertips pushing from under the levercap.
This handhold is quite comfortable and makes the LAJ a practical user without a hotdog. Indeed, there is the potential for someone to grasp a hotdog (whether on the LV or LN LAJ planes) and attempt to push it against the fence from high (and not use their fingers to maintain sideways pressure from low).

Contributing to “tippiness” is the amount of “run up” to the board that is used. Many – both experienced and novices alike – would draw the plane back to the start of the runway, and then push it forward fast in an attempt to create momentum, as if this was necessary to power through the end grain. Shooting in this manner would lead to user losing control of the plane.

What is necessary for control is minimum run up. Place the plane with the blade nearly touching the near edge of the board, and then simply push the plane forward, with even pressure and firmly. Since the shaving removed is very fine, a plane with a sharp blade will cut without much effort. Once this was understood, the extra mass of the LAJ was an advantage over the more stable #9."

If this does not help, there is an article on my website for building a hotdog handle for the LV LA Jack:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Building%20the%20Hotdog%20Mk%20II%20for%20the%20LV %20LA%20Jack%20pics.html

Combine this with a side fence for the shooting board ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/RunningFencefortheShootingBoard.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Steve Friedman
03-31-2014, 10:06 AM
Derek,

I remember that article you wrote and started to use that hand hold for shooting. But, my LAJ is the Lie-Nielsen one and it hurts to hold the plane like that. I thought about getting the LN hot dog attachment, but remembered your comments and preference for using the Jack without the attachment. Just wondering whether the LV LAJ is any easier on the hands when held like that.

Funny thing is that I was just at one of The Woodworking Shows and spend time playing with the new LV shooting plane. I was so "in love" that I never thought of trying out the LV LAJ on the shooting board. Now I keep going back and forth on the shooting plane because I'm not sure that I'll use it often enough to justify the cost.

Steve

Derek Cohen
03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Steve

I went into my workshop to compare the LV and the Stanley (which is the same as the LN).

The LV is larger than the Stanley but is much easier to hold using the method I outlined. The major difference is that the thumb hole on the side (top when shooting) of the LV. While shallow, this adds significant extra grip. The shape of the LV lever cap is also kinder on the fingers than the Stanley. The LV is more bar-like and this is easier to grip.

Now I assuming that the LN is the same design as the Stanley #62. If so, then the method I suggested can only apply to the LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Prashun,

Derek makes some excellent points about holding your Veritas LAJ.

I use the LN #62 with a hot dog for my shooting needs. My fingers end up in about the same place as Derek suggests.

Here is an old post of mine using a #6 as my shooter and the first handle made for shooting:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?130114-Shooting-Board-Plane

In the seventh post the handle is modified to be more like a hot dog. It is still used at times with a #6 or #8 if something is wider than my #62 can handle.

Steve,

Can you make a hot dog for your #62 and see if it helps?

jtk