PDA

View Full Version : Ear Protection Is Vital

Jerry Thompson
03-30-2014, 10:02 PM
http://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2_0_0_1_84531_AE7PimIAAANOUzitxAAAACC dtnc&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Pat Barry
03-30-2014, 10:53 PM
eh? whats that you say?

ken masoumi
03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Eh quotation is viral?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2014, 11:37 PM
July 8, 2010 I awoke deaf. The very large corporation who employed me was generous. 6 months later I was forced into retirement for personal safety reasons. Care to ask me how important hearing protection is?

PS....I lost my hearing due to a hereditary disease. Using a cochlear implant, I do well but who wants to have surgery to implant a computer under your scalp. I will tell you, it's not as good as "normal" hearing but it sure beats being deaf!

Mike Lassiter
03-31-2014, 12:38 AM
I know someone who's wife had a brain tumor removed and lost her hearing due to the surgery. He later told me that she was going back to get some type of computer chip installed that was going to restore her hearing. I think this is what Ken is talking about. I haven't spoke to husband in some time, but they had to go to Birmingham or Atlanta one for both surgeries. It is just amazing what is being done now and equally amazing at what it cost. I guess if I was in the same situation I would want too. Several years ago there was a Brighter Christmas story in our local paper about a mother that had cancer and the medical bills they were faced with. My wife and I did some things for them and the husband and I spoke afterwards. We actually never met. We delivered to their house and left the things on their door step. He told me that her medical bills had exceeded $750,000 and they were looking at tens of thousands to have to pay. She later passed away, just a couple of months later. Really sad thing to see anyone endure.

ken masoumi
03-31-2014, 7:04 AM
Hearing loss runs in my family,my father's started when he was 55 years old ,my two brothers and I are all hard of hearing but in my case Tinnitus has made it even worse but with all the thing that can go wrong in my life I'm still thankful that I can still hear.

Jerry Thompson
03-31-2014, 7:54 AM
286162286162286162What happened to my picture? It as there after my post. Now I suddenly have three.

Brian Elfert
03-31-2014, 8:46 AM
I spent six years in high school and college cutting grass 40 hours a a week at the local state fairgrounds. We wore hearing protection when operating weed whips, but not the push mowers. I got promoted to riding mower the second year and they are pretty loud. I couldn't wear hearing protection as the ear muffs actually amplified certain frequencies. When we got a new diesel rider I was given that one and I did wear hearing protection then.

I'm now in my 40s and my hearing seems to be normal for my age. I have worn hearing protection when using any power tools or power equipment that is noisy. I went to a wedding this past fall and the music was so loud I had ringing ears for a week. Since then my ears seem to be more sensitive to noise.

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I've worked in heavy metal bending/shearing press rooms, large equipment manufacturing companies and often witness testing on loud power generation equipment.

I also ride a motorcycle a lot, I've ridden more than 1,000,000 kilometres.

I always wear ear protection, anywhere required, including earplugs while riding.

Not only is hearing protection critical for your hearing, it reduces fatigue to a large extent.

I'm trying to imagine what happened to Ken, if you work on equipment, many of the feedback signals you receive from them are audible. Losing the ability to hear would drastically affect the ability to operate or service machinery..........Rod.

Brian W Smith
03-31-2014, 1:23 PM
To echo (ha) what Rod posted above.......as a peg draggin sportbike enthusiast,the more we cancel outside distractions(noise),the more we free up concentration.Additionally,it has a calming effect.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I've worked in heavy metal bending/shearing press rooms, large equipment manufacturing companies and often witness testing on loud power generation equipment.

I also ride a motorcycle a lot, I've ridden more than 1,000,000 kilometres.

I always wear ear protection, anywhere required, including earplugs while riding.

Not only is hearing protection critical for your hearing, it reduces fatigue to a large extent.

I'm trying to imagine what happened to Ken, if you work on equipment, many of the feedback signals you receive from them are audible. Losing the ability to hear would drastically affect the ability to operate or service machinery..........Rod.

Rod,

It was the personal safety issues created being deaf that curtailed my working there. That being said, so much of what you use to troubleshoot is being able to recognize the abnormal sounds as compared to the sounds of a normally working system. Even with my cochlear implant and HA, I can't wear them in the presence of x-ray or MR scanner magnetic fields so that pretty well eliminated my ability to continue in the profession I had enjoyed for 34 years.

Not being able to hear a 2400 lb. frame rotating continuously at 3 revolutions per second or not being able to hear high voltage arcs or a safety device alarming would have presented some really dangerous situations.