PDA

View Full Version : No name tools

steven c newman
03-30-2014, 4:28 PM
Been using a couple of them lately. A marking gauge, with the only markings being a "ruler" along one side of the arm. A small, almost tiny, square. Some brass to it, no other markings. And a $1 Dovetail saw. Only marking on it was an owner's name. The set was stoned almost away. The only way to use it was to wax the plate up, and then it would cut quite nicely, go to the next cut, wax and saw. 286085Kind of cluttered here. That is candle wax on the saw plate.286086On this side, the "owner" had scratched his name. "Hunt" The only "Named" tool here? That old plane286087 a Millers Falls #8. Seems it had to horn in on the pictures...:D

steven c newman
03-30-2014, 6:29 PM
Any clues as to what the saw was? maybe a Disston, maybe a Stanley? Or someone else? Just an old $1 saw....

Judson Green
03-30-2014, 7:17 PM
I have a Sears Craftsman that looks very similar, especially the handle. 10" by 2¼". Bought it new ~13 years ago, never really used it.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2014, 8:13 PM
I have a saw pretty much like that bought in a hardware store about 15 years ago.

I think it has a hang hole just like Judson's Craftsman.

jtk

steven c newman
03-31-2014, 3:23 PM
When I bought that saw, it had a ring through the hole. Got rid of the ring, too much like another type of knob ring....

The marking gauge never had any sort of brass parts to it. it does have a ruler of sorts printed into on side of the arm.

The Little square was in my Dad's toolbox. Might even be a bit older? There is a brass plate where the wooden part meets anything else.

No numbers on the metal part of the square, either. Someone had stamped some numbers onto the wooden part. "Employee#", maybe?

Seems to be the way this shop works, with no-name tools.