PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a biscuit joiner for 1/4" stock?

dirk martin
03-30-2014, 4:19 PM
I've got to make a ton of edge glued panels in 1/4" and 3/8" solid maple.
I have no experience with a biscuit joiner.

Can I use one on such thin material?
Looking for ease in keeping the boards from sliding around.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2014, 4:39 PM
Hi, there's no need for mechanical fasteners of any kind.

Just edge glue the panels, put a couple of cauls on them to hold them in alignmenet if you wish..........Rod.

dirk martin
03-30-2014, 4:42 PM
I'm not looking for something to add additional strength.
I'm looking for help with alignment.

If I had a a joiner, I'm sure I'll find other uses for it too.
Are the Festool dominos thicker than biscuits? I like the versitility of the domino system, but if those dominos are thicker than traditional biscuits, then the Festool will be no help with 1/4" stock.

Michael Peet
03-30-2014, 4:49 PM
Hi Dirk,

I'm with Rod: cauls > biscuits for this.

Mike

Keith Hankins
03-30-2014, 5:22 PM
Like others have said biscuit even if possible way overkill cut the bands a little wide and use tape to hold them in place, If you are concerned about adhesion, then cover with wax paper and caul it.

Mike Henderson
03-30-2014, 5:28 PM
And if you need help with cauls, see here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Cauls.htm).

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2014, 5:35 PM
I like biscuits and use them often but...... I would have problem accurately placing those slots in 1/4" thick material.

Kent A Bathurst
03-30-2014, 5:57 PM
I'm looking for help with alignment.

I do not believe that the plate joiners help with alignment. There is, inherent in the design, too much "slop". They have to leave room for the biscuits to expand with the addition of the adhesive. It simply does not work for that purpose. And - that is the exact reason I bought mine dog years ago. I did not "get it" until I had ridden a few rodeos.

Rod is spot-on: for alignment, you need a set of cauls that will hold the panel components flat and aligned at the glue joint.

EDIT: Mike has a very good tutorial on making cauls. Do what he says, is my advice. I made my cauls differently [2" x 8/4 HM], but that was pre-internet, pre-Creek, pre-Mike H. Tutorial days, or I would have done exactly what he shows. I just made it up as I went, and got lucky - nailed it. those cauls have been used a few hundred times over the past 13-15 years.

And - I sold the plate joiner. Dead weight, IMO.

Curt Harms
03-31-2014, 9:29 AM
I like biscuits and use them often but...... I would have problem accurately placing those slots in 1/4" thick material.

Even if you were able to get the alignment down, the slot is 4 mm or a smidge over 5/32. That's over 1/2 the thickness of the 1/4" stock and may cause 'telegraphing' problems. I'd go along with cauls with paste wax or packing tape so glue doesn't stick. Biscuits have their place, IMO this isn't one.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Curt....while I didn't communicate it well, I agree...I'd use cauls. I don't know that I could place biscuits accurately in the 1/4" material.....and I agree, in material that thin, the biscuits might telegraph their position.

dirk martin
03-31-2014, 1:24 PM
ok then....
I'm making cauls today....
thanks gang.