PDA

View Full Version : PC Options

Tim Boger
03-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi Folks,

We just recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and have been enjoying all the new tech it has built in .... however, the web browser is terribly slow and not as user friendly as ones personal laptop or PC.

So .... my question is, I'm considering buying a compact sized PC to connect via HDMI to the TV and would like some feed back on the idea and also specifically what PC you might suggest that has a small foot print, HDMI port and is inexpensive.

Thanks!

Tim

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I use a Sony internet player running android.($125-$195 depending on where) It will also run the same apps most android phones run. it just sets between your sat/cable box on the hdmi cable and uses wifi to connect to your network.. Combine that with the 1Channel app (amazing app for Google tv once upgraded for $4.00), and you will have instant access to all new and old movies and tv shows, plus the chrome browser which seems to work fine on this system.. I know you said you have a 'smart tv' but frankly I have found that some are not as smart as others..

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-30-2014, 10:42 PM
There were some revelations about some Smart TVs being easily hackable/exploitable lately - I believe it was Philips models in particular. I wouldn't trust a Smart TV that couldn't run software that could be easily upgraded even after the manufacturer ceased updates, so really, from a security standpoint, particularly if you're using this for more than just like a Netflix app or something, a separate computer seems to be a good way to go.

How big is small for you? Are you talking VHS player small, wireless router small, somewhere inbetween, or what? If you can find a way to make it work, the cheapest option may be a decent PC tucked into a cabinet or some such, especially if you can roll your own.

For the itty-bitty form factor, I kind of really like the current Mac Minis, but I haven't checked the prices in a while - Macs have a tendency of being a good deal for what you get at some times, and not at others. Honestly, I think I really liked them because they had internal power supplies - wall warts really bug me for some reason. I've heard good things about the new Intel NUCs, as well, but no experience. I've quite a few friends who use games consoles for browsing on the TV as well, as well as for streaming video from online and as their DVD players.

Tim Boger
03-31-2014, 6:56 AM
Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the feedback, the size I'm imagining would be approx. 12x12 .... or there abouts.

The streaming works well but the web browser is really slow .... that would be the only function that the tv has built in of which we'd be using a redundant source. I also like the idea of being able to use familiar security software.

I'm going to look into the "Intel NUCs"

Thanks,
Tim

Curt Harms
03-31-2014, 9:48 AM
I think what you're talking about is an HTPC (Home Theater PC). If you google HTPC, you should get some options. The Intel NUC does indeed sound interesting.

Tim Boger
03-31-2014, 12:28 PM
I never knew that there was a trade name for what I'm after ... thanks for the tip.

Michael Mahan
03-31-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4570S-GIGABYTE-H87N-WIFI/dp/B00E3FRNB2/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396182832&sr=1-8&keywords=htpc
look for something like this . this one is a full function PC that can be used for gaming as well , there are less $ scaled down versions
I myself built my own & am typing on a wireless keyboard & mouse right now the monitor is my 80" Sharp TV . The PC is HDMI into my Home Theater Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver that serves as a switch for the sat/cable box , bluray player , HTPC . a simple push of a button on my remote let's me toggle between all in a mere second .
I don't want a smart TV due to any changes in formats means you need a new TV . I can add or subtract new devices at will
streaming Amazon Prime & NexFlix look as good as 1080P outta DirecTV due to the up processing that the Onkyo & PC do to the signal
I even have a smaller monitor that can be used to surf the web & watch sports on the 80" at the same time .

Jim Matthews
04-01-2014, 6:34 PM
Here's what I use on my desktop, and it would fill the bill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220389
It's a fully built computer, that even I can use.

Note that streaming through your HDMI port is still limited by your cable bandwidth,
unless you compile the video in a buffer, prior to playback.

Tim Boger
04-01-2014, 7:28 PM
Here's what I use on my desktop, and it would fill the bill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220389
It's a fully built computer, that even I can use.

Note that streaming through your HDMI port is still limited by your cable bandwidth,
unless you compile the video in a buffer, prior to playback.

That is the hot set up Jim, may be more that I can put into this project right now.

Cost as always is a factor .....

Thank you for the input.

Jim Matthews
04-02-2014, 7:00 PM
Watch NewEgg and TheNerds.Net - there are deals, on occasion.

My suggestion is based on my poor results in setting up Linux systems.
Windows 7 (Home or Professional) seems stable, and even I can use it.

I did not pay the current price shown on Newegg, not by a longshot...