View Full Version : Press on Chest Progress pics

Ernie Hobbs
06-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I've been working on this press on chest for the last couple of months in my spare time. I am almost finished- hopefully will be complete in the next couple of weeks. The wood is mahogany and southern yellow pine and done using machines for dimensioning but hand tools for the rest. This project has involved many firsts for me: dovetails, dental molding, raised panels, arched raised panels, etc. Still to do: trim and fit doors and drawers, fit and apply hardware, lots of sanding on whole thing, apply finish.

Note: the color difference from the top to bottom is because the last time I worked on the bottom case was in January- I expect them to be the same color when I finish sanding.

I'll post final pics when completed.

Donnie Raines
06-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Looking realllllllly good. Looking forward to the completed project.

Alan Turner
06-22-2005, 1:25 PM
Nice job, Ernie. Did the SYP move on you after milling? Was it a problem keeping it flat? Just curious as I have not worked with it much, but will be building two large french doors with it shortly.

Ernie Hobbs
06-22-2005, 1:39 PM
Alan:

Not too much. Since the SYP is on the back and inside the case, I wasn't as concerned about movement. The boards were milled and cut several days before actually put on and I didn't have any problems (even transporting them from NC to Alabama didn't have much affect on them). The mahogany did some moving, however, and I had to cut them close to the right size, let them sit in the shop for a few weeks, and then do final dimensioning after movement. That way, I could ensure perfect flat doors on the final piece.

Ernie Hobbs
06-22-2005, 4:01 PM
Any advice on finishing? I have used tung oil in the past and am happy with it. However, I would like to match closer to the other furniture in the bedroom and will need to darken it up a bit. Also, I noticed that the grain is much more porous than the cherry that I have used lately (this is african mahogany) and was considering using a grain filler. Advice or recommendations?

Bob Noles
06-22-2005, 4:08 PM
VERY nice job, Ernie. That is some quality work and I can't wait to see the finished product. That thing is beautiful!

Mike Cutler
06-22-2005, 6:06 PM
Everything looks great Ernie. It's going to be a very nice piece.
If I could ask a question tho'. I'm not familiar with the term "press on chest". It sounds interesting. What is the definition and origin of the term, if I may ask?

Ernie Hobbs
06-22-2005, 6:42 PM
I had a tough time figuring out what to call it. Technically, it probably fits the description of "armoire" but since this was a Chippendale piece and based on 18th century designs, the term "armoire" wasn't appropriate. The base is a traditional Chippendale chest of drawers. The top case is much like a traditional linen or clothes press. This piece is intended to be used to house a TV and the seven drawers will be used for clothes (my wife's). I asked my dad and he said that "press on chest" was the appropriate name, although it sounded a little wierd to me, too. He suggested that I go get Wallace Gusler's book: "Furniture of Williamsburg and Eastern VA" to see references to pieces similar to mine with that name. Haven't found the book yet for less than $99 and that's a little steep for me right now. Waiting for a good deal on ebay.

Calvin Hobbs
06-29-2005, 9:50 AM
Ern,

Try thebestthings.com They have the Gusler book new at $30 or so.

The press on chest looks great - What would you charge to make me one?

Cal

Wes Newman
06-29-2005, 3:53 PM
Ernie, It's lookin good.:)

Calvin, Welcome to the Creek. It's great to have you.

Ernie Hobbs
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Ern,

Try thebestthings.com They have the Gusler book new at $30 or so.

The press on chest looks great - What would you charge to make me one?

Cal

Almost done! I am applying finish over the next couple of days and promise finished pictures by the weekend!

Calvin: I looked at thebestthings and didn't see the Gusler book. I'll keep my eyes open.

Calvin Hobbs
07-12-2005, 2:02 PM
You're right, I couldn't find one either - I must have bought the last one, sorry about that.

Cal

Ernie Hobbs
07-12-2005, 2:30 PM
you could always let me borrow yours? :D

lou sansone
07-12-2005, 5:43 PM
excellent work.; looks really great. the tombstone doors are challanging to get them to look decent. you have done a great job.

are you going to fill the mahogany ?

what about hardware. a piece like that should have really decent stuff. Ball and ball?

lou